HBO has passed on the comedy pilot Documental, from Tropic Thunder cohorts Justin Theroux, Steve Coogan and Ben Stiller. The project, written and directed by Theroux, was filmed in London. It stars Theroux as a documentary filmmaker who tracks down his idol, an equally inept filmmaker (Coogan), and documents his return to his craft. Stiller was among the pilot’s executive producers as were Theroux and Coogan. Last week, HBO picked up another comedy pilot, Lena Dunham/Judd Apatow’s Girls, to series. In addition to Documental, the pay cable network also recently passed on drama pilots Miraculous Year and All Signs of Death. Coming up: Armando Iannucci’s comedy pilot Veep, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which is gearing up for production, and the Diane Keaton starrer Tilda, which is still awaiting word on its fate.
HBO's 'Documental' Pilot Not Going Forward
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kaplan Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'
- FX Renews Comedies 'Married' & 'You're The Worst', Moves 'Worst' To FXX
- NBC Nabs 'Raven Rock' Drama From Robert Zemeckis, Bob Cooper, eOne & Paramount TV
- Frances Berwick To Lead NBCU Lifestyle Networks, Adding Oversight Of E! & Esquire; Adam Stotsky Named E! GM