Gossip Girl star Ed Westwick has landed a major supporting role in J. Edgar, the Clint Eastwood-directed drama about manipulative FBI director J. Edgar Hoover that stars Leonardo DiCaprio. At the same time, Charlize Theron will not be playing the role of Helen Gandy, as was rumored. She’s signing on for Snow White and the Huntsman at Universal and Eastwood is now looking at Naomi Watts and Amy Adams as possibles for the Gandy role. As for Westwick, the British actor will play a clean cut operative with writing skill. Once Hoover discovers he can write, he conscripts Agent Smith to write Hoover’s biography, until Smith gets a little too close to the truth. The film’s produced by Brian Grazer’s Imagine Entertainment and Eastwood’s Malpaso. The Social Network‘s Armie Hammer also signed on to play Hoover’s assistant and secret lover Clyde Tolson.
'Gossip Girl's Ed Westwick joins 'J. Edgar'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pretty Little Liars' Spinoff 'The Perfectionists' Starring Sasha Pieterse & Janel Parrish Gets Freeform Pilot Order
Latest Film News
- Vanessa Hudgens Added To Cast Of Ken Marino’s ‘Dog Days’
- Chevy Chase, Andie MacDowell, Richard Dreyfuss & More Topline Netflix Comedy Film ‘The Last Laugh’
- Elizabeth Banks Joins Anthony Mackie In Taylor Hackford-Helmed Signal Hill Scandal Pic
- Ruben Fleischer To Helm Buddy Cop Comedy With John Cena and Kumail Nanjiani
- Kyle MacLachlan Joins Amblin’s ‘The House With A Clock In Its Walls’
- ‘Mamma Mia!’: Andy Garcia Joins Cast Of Universal Sequel