Veteran ESPN sportscaster Ron Franklin has been fired after he reportedly made sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards, calling her in a condescending tone “sweet baby” or “sweetcakes,” according to different accounts, as well as an “a**hole.” The termination follows a media firestorm yesterday when word of the incident, which had happened during a staff meeting on Friday, leaked. It forced Franklin, a 20-year ESPN veteran who called mostly college football and basketball games, to issue a public apology. That wasn’t enough. “Based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him,” an ESPN spokesman said in a statement.
ESPN Fires Announcer Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest TV News
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling For Women
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents…
- David Parfitt Accuses Harvey Weinstein Of Assaulting Him On ‘My Week With Marilyn’
- NBA All-Star Game Scores In Ratings For TNT & TBS
- Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed