Veteran ESPN sportscaster Ron Franklin has been fired after he reportedly made sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards, calling her in a condescending tone “sweet baby” or “sweetcakes,” according to different accounts, as well as an “a**hole.” The termination follows a media firestorm yesterday when word of the incident, which had happened during a staff meeting on Friday, leaked. It forced Franklin, a 20-year ESPN veteran who called mostly college football and basketball games, to issue a public apology. That wasn’t enough. “Based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him,” an ESPN spokesman said in a statement.
ESPN Fires Announcer Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This. America's On A Roll!"
Latest TV News
- ‘Shameless’ Adds Four To Cast & Reveals The Scoop On Season 7
- DNC Final Day Ratings See Hillary Clinton Down From Obama In 2012; Steady With Trump & RNC
- ‘This Is Us’: Jon Huertas Joins Dan Fogelman NBC Dramedy
- Sony Pictures Division Hit By Losses In Quarterly Earnings
- Richard Kind, The Last Martin O’Malley Supporter, Attends DNC For Stephen Colbert’s ‘Late Show’
- The Hillbillies Have Eyes In New ‘American Horror Story’ Season 6 Teasers