Veteran ESPN sportscaster Ron Franklin has been fired after he reportedly made sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards, calling her in a condescending tone “sweet baby” or “sweetcakes,” according to different accounts, as well as an “a**hole.” The termination follows a media firestorm yesterday when word of the incident, which had happened during a staff meeting on Friday, leaked. It forced Franklin, a 20-year ESPN veteran who called mostly college football and basketball games, to issue a public apology. That wasn’t enough. “Based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him,” an ESPN spokesman said in a statement.
ESPN Fires Announcer Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office FINAL: 'Maze Runner' Finds $32.5M; Liam's 'Walk' Limps In With $12.7M; 'Where I Leave You,' $11.5M
More From Andreeva
- Nastaran Dibai & Aaron Kaplan Re-Team For ABC Romantic Comedy
- CBS Buys Comedy From Andrew Reich, Ted Cohen & Gail Berman
- Shea Whigham To Co-Star On 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- 'Shark Tank' Star Kevin O'Leary Signs With UTA
- Jacki Weaver To Co-Star In Seth MacFarlane's 'Blunt Talk' Series On Starz
- CW's 'The Flash' & 'Jane The Virgin' Get Backup Script Orders Ahead Of Premieres