Veteran ESPN sportscaster Ron Franklin has been fired after he reportedly made sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards, calling her in a condescending tone “sweet baby” or “sweetcakes,” according to different accounts, as well as an “a**hole.” The termination follows a media firestorm yesterday when word of the incident, which had happened during a staff meeting on Friday, leaked. It forced Franklin, a 20-year ESPN veteran who called mostly college football and basketball games, to issue a public apology. That wasn’t enough. “Based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him,” an ESPN spokesman said in a statement.
ESPN Fires Announcer Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'