EXCLUSIVE: With the long-delayed second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand officially a go, who will replace cancer-stricken Andy Whitfield as Rome’s most famous gladiator? Last Friday, Starz’s boss Chris Albrecht said that the network brass are “confident that we will find an actor who can ably step into Spartacus’ sandals.” I hear that that same day, the pay cable network’s executives had received a screen test for the role done by former Prison Break star Dominic Purcell. Throwing Purcell’s name into the mix is an intriguing proposition. For once, he does have the the physique to pull off a believable gladiator. Australian actor Liam McIntyre is said to still be in serious contention for the role, and he continues to bulk up as the network execs reportedly liked him as an actor in his November screen test but his thin frame was a problem. But last week, rumors started circulating that Starz had also approached a name actor for the part. Purcell has been vacationing in his native Australia, so he put himself on tape there and emailed the clip to Starz brass last Friday. It is not clear what the network’s final decision will be, but if Purcell gets the lead, his last-minute hire would resemble his 11th-hour casting on Fox’s Prison Break where he auditioned and got the role 3 days before the pilot was to go into production. And in another peculiar coincidence, Purcell’s Prison Break co-star Wentworth Miller reportedly expressed interest in taking over the Spartacus role back in October.
Dominic Purcell To Enter 'Spartacus' Arena?
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Westworld’ Review: HBO’s Violent Epic More ‘Grand Theft Auto’ Than ‘Game Of Thrones…
- ‘Chicago P.D.’ Star Jon Seda Moving To ‘Chicago Justice’ As Series Regular
- Babymetal Teams With Warner Bros On Live-Action Animated Digital Series
- Agnes Nixon Dies: Creator Of ‘All My Children’ & ‘One Life To Live’ Was 88
- Ilene Chaiken, Betsy Beers & More Set For Women In Entertainment Summit
- ‘You’re The Worst’ Gets Season 4 Renewal From FXX