EXCLUSIVE: ABC is finalizing a deal for a 13-episode order to a medical drama about a military hospital in Afghanistan to run in the summer. It is being done with the same Canadian network partner, Canwest, and under the same low-cost financial model as ABC’s cop drama Rookie Blue, which surprisingly became last summer’s top-rated new broadcast scripted series and has been renewed for a second cycle. The new medical drama had already been greenlighted by Canwest with a 13-episode order under the title Combat Hospital, but that name is expected to change now that ABC is picking up the show much like Copper became Rookie Blue after ABC got involved. Also upon closing the deal for the medical drama, Daniel Petrie Jr. will come on board as executive producer/showrunner. The series is a Canadian/UK co-production, with Sienna Films and Artists Studios producing alongside Look Out Point. It was created by Douglas Steinberg (Psych) and Jinder Chalmers and is set to air in Canada on Global Television, the network that also carries Rookie Blue. APA-repped Petrie Jr., best known for writing blockbuster Beverly Hills Cop, executive produced the USA series The Big Easy. In addition to imports, ABC has also been betting on U.S.-made scripted series for summer. It largely struck out with Scoundrels and The Gates last summer but in October, the network put another summer hopeful on a fast track, a spy drama from feature writer Greg Poirier and The Gates executive producers Grant Scharbo and Gina Matthews.
ABC Is Picking Up Another Canadian Drama Series For Next Summer
What's Hot on Deadline
'Ant-Man' Scribes Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari Join 'Transformers' Writers Room: Cybertron Pic In Offing?
Latest TV News
- ABC Signs Talent Deal With NBA Pilot Star Blondy Baruti
- Kate Shepherd Named EVP Content At Contend
- Sky To Invest $20 Million In Milan Hub For Arts; Fremantle Picks Up Jude Law’s ‘The Young Pope'; Global Briefs
- Former MTV Exec Joins CMT As SVP Communications
- ‘Halt And Catch Fire’ Season 2 Review: Series About Dawn Of Digital Era Returns With Way More RAM
- ‘19 Kids And Counting’ Spinoff May Be Spawned As TLC Wades Through Duggar Mess