ABC is looking to get back in the event mini-series business with Wicked, an eight-hour mini-series produced by Salma Hayek, TVLine‘s Michael Ausiello reports. The project is not based on the highly-successful Broadway musical but on Gregory McGuire’s bestselling book that spawned it. Despite a long tradition of TV musicals like Cinderella, Annie and The Music Man at ABC that flourished under Susan Lyne as head of TV movies and mini-series and then entertainment president, the genre disappeared from the network under Lyne’s successor Stephen McPherson. In fact, McPherson passed on the Wicked mini-series a couple of year ago, a decision that was reversed by new ABC president Paul Lee. Wicked, which is in active development, is being produced by ABC Studios and Hayek and Jose Tamez’s studio-based Ventanarosa Prods. Erik Jendersen (Band of Brothers) is writing the script. For now, there are no plans for Hayek to star. Coincidentally, ABC and ABC Studios are developing a comedy musical series starring Idina Menzel, who originated the role of Elphaba in the Wicked Broadway musical, winning a Tony for the part. The musical, perennial top Broadway grosser that premiered in 2003, is currently being developed as a feature.
ABC Developing 8-Hour 'Wicked' Miniseries Produced by Salma Hayek
What's Hot on Deadline
'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Takes Top Dramatic Honors At Sundance; Is It The Next 'Whiplash'? - Winners List
ADG Awards: 'Birdman', 'Grand Budapest Hotel', & 'Guardians' Take Top Film Prizes - 'Game Of Thrones', 'True Detective Among TV Winners
More From Andreeva
- Fortune Feimster Comedy From Tina Fey, ‘Uncle Buck’ Reboot Get ABC Pilot Orders
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Slip With Host J.K. Simmons
- Bryan Cranston & David Shore’s 'Sneaky Pete', Civil Rights Crime Drama From Rene Balcer Get CBS Pilot Orders
- Johnny Knoxville, Jermaine Fowler Projects, NBA Buddy Show Among 7 ABC Comedy Pilot Orders
- ABC Picks Up 4 Drama Pilots
- Busy Philipps Joins HBO Comedy Series 'Vice Principals'