EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has acquired the rights to the British comedy show RentaGhost and will develop it into a Beetlejuice-style afterlife feature comedy vehicle for Russell Brand. He’ll play Fred Mumford, a recently deceased guy determined to be more productive as a corpse than he was during his life as a slacker. He attempts to set himself up in a business with a couple of other ghouls, starting a temp agency for the dead. Mumford and cohorts rent out ghouls and ghosts to the living, until things go awry. The original series, created by Bob Block, ran on BBC1 from 1976-1984. Langley Park’s Kevin McCormick will produce with BermanBraun’s Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun. Brand will be executive producer. They’re going right out to writers. BB’s Andrew Mittman brought in the project.
Russell Brand Haunts 'Rentaghost' Remake
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Benedict Cumberbatch Time's Cover Boy
- Paul Greengrass Eyes George Orwell's '1984'; 'Finding Neverland's James Graham To Write Script
- Steve Jobs Film Moving From Sony; Will Universal Make The Movie?
- Melissa McCarthy, Shawn Levy Teaming On Tinker Bell Pic
- 'Pirates' Scribe Tapped To Fit Steve McQueen Treasure Hunt Tale 'Yucatan' For Robert Downey Jr