EXCLUSIVE: I’m hearing from myriad insiders that Summit Entertainment has scheduled the Jodie Foster-directed film The Beaver starring Mel Gibson for Spring of 2011. Once the studio decided not to give the film an Oscar qualifying run, it was just a question of when the best release date was. I also hear that Entertainment Tonight is airing the trailer on Friday night’s show. The film was supposed to debut in 2010 but the studio delayed when Mel’s rants against his ex-girlfriend became a matter of public record. But Jodie has described Gibson’s performance as “one of his most powerful and moving performances”. (Although Gibson has 2 Oscars at home for directing and producing 1995’s Braveheart, he has never been nominated for his acting.) In the film, Gibson plays a father who walks around talking to a beaver hand puppet. In the fall, a CBS News/Vanity Fair poll that found 76% of respondents saying Gibson’s personal troubles would have no effect on whether they would see one of his movies. Though Hollywood has a history of forgiving the man and not forgetting the moviemaker (Elia Kazan, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Oliver Stone), it’s not clear what the public thinks. Summit faced a difficult dilemma given Gibson’s domestic disputes and the alleged racial slurs and sexist epithets and alleged physical and verbal abuse of his girlfriend that’s come out from behind closed doors. However, it’s long been my stated belief that, if a litmus test were given for behavior, nobody would ever work in showbiz again. Ever since he made The Passion of the Christ, audiences have rewarded Gibson with their moviegoing loyalty despite his personal travails. Trust me, Mel’s base is still out there. When I revealed that Gibson’s agency WME Entertainment had fired him because Mel allegedly used the “n-word” racial slur during a private domestic quarrel, 50% of all the comments flooding in to Deadline were willing to give Gibson the benefit of the doubt and defend him.
Release Date For Mel Gibson In 'The Beaver'
What's Hot on Deadline
Meghan McCain Discovers Donald Trump Lies, Blasting Her Cancer-Stricken Father At CPAC After Promising To Stop
John Oliver, HBO Score Legal Victory Over Coal King: First Amendment Protects "Geriatric Dr. Evil" Jab
Latest Awardsline News
- ‘Darkest Hour’, ‘I,Tonya’ Claim Trophies At Make-Up Artists And Hair Stylist Guild Awards — Complete…
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket The Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Sound Teams On The Sonic Dimension To Creature Creation
- How VFX Supervisors Brought Supreme Leader Snoke Into The Room For ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’