Elaine Kaufman has died at age 81 today of complications from emphysema. Kaufman’s upper East Side eatery Elaine’s was the toast of Manhattan for decades, a watering hole where Gotham filmmakers, pols and journalists mixed it up every night. Kaufman, whom I remember from my days at New York Newsday as a kind heart behind a tough exterior, was also a fixture at the Deauville Film Festival until about five years ago. There, she kept up on films and gossip in equal measure. She was truly a New York institution.
R.I.P. Elaine Kaufman
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Don't We Want 70s-Style Adult Thrillers Like 'A Walk Among The Tombstones?' A Chat With Scott Frank
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'
- Hamptons Fest Gets 'St. Vincent' Opener; Now They Pray For St. Bill
- Bryan Cranston In 'The Great Wall' Talks
- Bryan Singer Set To Helm 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- MGM Buys 55% Of Roma Downey And Mark Burnett's Empire; Relaunches United Artists