Elaine Kaufman has died at age 81 today of complications from emphysema. Kaufman’s upper East Side eatery Elaine’s was the toast of Manhattan for decades, a watering hole where Gotham filmmakers, pols and journalists mixed it up every night. Kaufman, whom I remember from my days at New York Newsday as a kind heart behind a tough exterior, was also a fixture at the Deauville Film Festival until about five years ago. There, she kept up on films and gossip in equal measure. She was truly a New York institution.
R.I.P. Elaine Kaufman
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Bart & Fleming: On 'Birdman,' Sony PR Tsuris, Mike Nichols And Bill Cosby
- Hobbit Sings Sweet Farewell To Middle Earth
- Charles Sipkins Exiting Sony As Corporate PR Head
- Jean-Marc Vallee To Direct Amy Adams In Janis Joplin Biopic
- Katee Sackhoff Gets 'Girl Flu'
- Richard Linklater Cast For Career Achievement Award