Elaine Kaufman has died at age 81 today of complications from emphysema. Kaufman’s upper East Side eatery Elaine’s was the toast of Manhattan for decades, a watering hole where Gotham filmmakers, pols and journalists mixed it up every night. Kaufman, whom I remember from my days at New York Newsday as a kind heart behind a tough exterior, was also a fixture at the Deauville Film Festival until about five years ago. There, she kept up on films and gossip in equal measure. She was truly a New York institution.
R.I.P. Elaine Kaufman
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
About 1 Million Watch Chelsea Handler Say So Long To E! As Gwen Stefani Nearly Fumbles Another TV Appearance: Video
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'
- Paradigm Signs Joe Johnston
- Sony Pictures Locks Tom Hanks, Ron Howard For April 'Inferno' Start
- Voltage Sets John Moore And William Wisher For Pierce Brosnan-Starrer 'I.T.'