Nu Image/Millennium has committed to a March start date for Playing the Field, the Gabriele Muccino-directed film that will star Gerard Butler. In the Robbie Fox-scripted comedy, Butler plays a retired world famous soccer star who tries to rebuild a relationship with his son and ex-wife by coaching his kid’s soccer team. While soccer is a hands-free sport, the mothers of the other kids can’t keep their hands off the coach, which imperils his plan. Jonathan Mostow, Kevin Misher, Heidi Jo Markel, Butler and Alan Siegel are producing. Danny Dimbort, Trevor Short and Avi Lerner are executive producers. The film was developed under the title Slide, when the protagonist was a baseball coach. Butler and Muccino came aboard after the script was switched to soccer, but it languished until the Nu Image/Millennium guys stepped up.
Nu Image Sets March Start For 'Playing The Field' With Gerard Butler
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Hobbit Sings Sweet Farewell To Middle Earth
- Charles Sipkins Exiting Sony As Corporate PR Head
- Jean-Marc Vallee To Direct Amy Adams In Janis Joplin Biopic
- Katee Sackhoff Gets 'Girl Flu'
- Richard Linklater Cast For Career Achievement Award
- Josh Boone Says Warner Bros Will Turn Stephen King's 'The Stand' Into Four Films