Summit Entertainment announced just now that it has scheduled the Jodie Foster-directed film The Beaver starring Mel Gibson for a March 23rd limited engagement and an April 8th expansion. Once the studio decided not to give the film an Oscar qualifying run, it was just a question of when the best release date was. The film was supposed to debut in 2010 but the studio delayed when Mel’s rants against his ex-girlfriend became a matter of public record. Jodie has described Gibson’s performance as “one of his most powerful and moving performances”. In the film, Gibson plays a father who walks around talking to a beaver hand puppet. In the fall, a CBS News/Vanity Fair poll that found 76% of respondents saying Gibson’s personal troubles would have no effect on whether they would see one of his movies.
TOLDJA! Mel Gibson's Post-Rant 'The Beaver' Skedded for March 23 & April 8
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Weinstein Company Wins 8-Figure U.S. Rights Auction For Matthew McConaughey-Starrer ‘Gold’
- Paramount Beats Class Action Lawsuit Over Credit Checks For Job Applicants
- Fox Searchlight Picks Up ‘He Named Me Malala’ About Youngest Nobel Winner
- DreamWorks Animation Shares Score On ‘Home,’ But Is It Enough?
- ‘Cinderella’ Returns To Top Of Offshore Box Office; ‘Home’ Rounds $48M – Update
- New ‘Jurassic World’ Teaser: Bystanders Carried Off By Pterosaurs