It looks like we’re in for another round of drawn-out Mad Men negotiations between AMC and Lionsgate TV and between Lionsgate and series creator/showrunner Matthew Weiner. And while talks on both fronts are underway, another deadline is looming – the options on the cast expire at the end of the month. That certainly complicates things as the producing studio may have to make a decision on the cast before the show’s future is certain. But if you can’t imagine Mad Men without Jon Hamm or Elisabeth Moss or January Jones or John Slattery, you don’t have to. While it appears that there may not be a deal for the show’s renewal by the end of the month, I hear Lionsgate fully intends to exercise the actors’ options before the Dec. 31 deadline. That is a good sign that the studio anticipates that Mad Men will be back for a fifth season. Negotiations on Weiner’s previous deal with Lionsgate two years ago dragged well into January and closed days after Mad Men triumphed at the Golden Globes for a third consecutive year as best drama series. This week, the period drama landed 3 Golden Globe nominations: for best drama series, best actor Hamm and best actress Moss, as well as 3 SAG Award nominations: for best drama series cast, best drama actor, Hamm and best drama actress, Moss.
'Mad Men' Cast Options Set To Expire Amidst Series Renewal, Matt Weiner Talks
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest TV News
- Netflix Rumored To Want Gerard Depardieu For French ‘House Of Cards’
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”
- Showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman On Almost Passing On ‘Jane The Virgin’, Pace, Title Change & How Will It End
- ‘Fuller’ Brush-Off: Olsens Won’t Head Home For ‘Full House’ Sequel