Insiders close to Marvel and Robert Downey Jr, who has director approval on Iron Man 3, confirm that Jon Favreau won’t direct this next installment of the franchise. Granted there’s no script yet. And few helmers do what Sam Raimi (Spider-Man) and Gore Verbinski (Pirates Of The Caribbean) did: stick around for a trilogy. Favreau just wrapped Cowboys & Aliens and is about to embark on Disney’s Magic Kingdom and “is excited about the opportunity to go do his own thing” while Kevin Feige as the ultimate custodian of Marvel’s Iron Man franchise “sees it as an opportunity to bring some more fire to the franchise”. Favreau is still on board to exec produce The Avengers which Joss Whedon is directing. Favreau just negotiated a Disney development deal but the director had been expected to re-team with RDJr for the third Iron Man, one of the Marvel films bought out from Paramount so Disney could distribute. Vulture got there first.
Confirmed: Favreau Won't Helm 'Iron Man 3'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The White Princess': Alex Kalymnios To Direct Starz Miniseries; Amy Manson, Andrew Whipp, Patrick Gibson Join Cast
Donald Trump Battling Mexico President Over Whether They Talked About Paying For Wall, Ending Brief Truce
Latest Film News
- Broad Green’s Head Of Distribution Travis Reid Resigns
- Covert Media Taps Jim Harvey SVP International Sales Ahead Of Toronto
- ‘The Light Between Oceans’ Venice Review: Michael Fassbender & Alicia Vikander Shine In Engrossing Drama
- New UTA Venue Giving Artists Some Space
- Jim Gaffigan & Olivia Thirlby Join ‘Chappaquiddick’
- ‘Max Steel’ Trailer: Mattel’s Action Figure Line Gets Live Action Treatment