Insiders close to Marvel and Robert Downey Jr, who has director approval on Iron Man 3, confirm that Jon Favreau won’t direct this next installment of the franchise. Granted there’s no script yet. And few helmers do what Sam Raimi (Spider-Man) and Gore Verbinski (Pirates Of The Caribbean) did: stick around for a trilogy. Favreau just wrapped Cowboys & Aliens and is about to embark on Disney’s Magic Kingdom and “is excited about the opportunity to go do his own thing” while Kevin Feige as the ultimate custodian of Marvel’s Iron Man franchise “sees it as an opportunity to bring some more fire to the franchise”. Favreau is still on board to exec produce The Avengers which Joss Whedon is directing. Favreau just negotiated a Disney development deal but the director had been expected to re-team with RDJr for the third Iron Man, one of the Marvel films bought out from Paramount so Disney could distribute. Vulture got there first.
Confirmed: Favreau Won't Helm 'Iron Man 3'
What's Hot on Deadline
Gary Oldman Spent 200 Hours In Make-Up Chair To Become Winston Churchill In 'Darkest Hour' -- CinemaCon
Jennifer Lawrence Becomes A 'Red Sparrow': 20th Century Fox Unveils Intense Spy Trailer At CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Netflix 1st Animated Film ‘America:’ Channing Tatum Voicing George Washington
- Lionsgate CinemaCon Reel: ‘American Assassin’, ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’, ‘Latin Lover…
- Bruce Willis Starrer ‘Acts Of Violence’ Adds Rotimi Akinosho
- Why Kumail Nanjiani & Emily Gordon Went With Amazon On Their New Film ‘The Big Sick’ – CinemaCon
- Sundance Winner ‘Last Men In Aleppo’ Lands At Grasshopper Film For May Release
- Rising Rivers, Torrential Rains & A Bug In Charlie Hunnam’s Ear: The Pains Of Making Amazon’s ‘Lost City Of Z…