EXCLUSIVE: In what may be the last bidding war this development season, I hear CBS has landed Two Broke Girls, a multi-camera comedy co-written by former Sex and the City showrunner Michael Patrick King and comedian Whitney Cummings. The project, which the two wrote on spec at Warner Bros. TV where King is under a rich overall deal, was taken out this week and, after heated bidding, landed at CBS with a pilot production commitment. Like Sex and the City, Two Broke Girls is set in New York and features female protagonists. But the similarities end there. As the title suggests, the CBS/Warner Bros. TV project centers on two 22-year-old girls who tackle life in New York: two broke girls, one expensive city. (It is safe to assume that the two won’t be wearing Manolo Blahniks.) King is executive producing the pilot, while Cummings is co-executive producing. This is the second spec sale for King, who is returning to TV this development season after taking a break to write and direct the two Sex and the City movies. A drama he wrote about a 50-something Beverly Hills hairdresser landed at NBC with a pilot commitment last month. 28-year-old Cummings also has a second project set up at NBC. She is writing and is attached to star in a comedy about a woman who’s afraid of marriage. Cummings, a frequent guest on Chelsea Lately and a celebrity roaster on Comedy Central, is part of a group of sexy foul-mouthed comedians that includes Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman whose act often tackles relationships and sex. She is set to host MTV New Year’s Bash. King and Cummings are with CAA.
CBS Nabs Michael Patrick King/Whitney Cummings Multi-Camera Comedy
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Sarah Silverman To Star In HBO Pilot From 'Secret Diary Of a Call Girl' Creator
- Sony Hack Deepens Rift Between Film & Television Group
- FXX Launches Late-Night Animation Block With Series From ADHD Studios
- 'MasterChef Jr.' Finale Up, 'Voice' Finale Down From 2013, 'NCIS: NOLA' Hits Low
- Julian McMahon & Daisy Betts Join Syfy's 'Childhood's End'
- Endemol, Shine & Core Joint Venture Gets Name, Sets More Top Execs, Merges Distribution & International Operations