Right before the liftoff of Apollo 18, Spanish filmmaker Gonzalo Lopez-Gallego has stepped into direct the Timur Bekmambetov-produced film which The Weinstein Company won in a bidding battle during AFM. Trevor Caewood was originally attached to direct the film, which was scripted by Brian Miller. Lopez-Gallego had an existing relationship with Dimension’s Bob Weinstein from when that label released his film King of the Hill. The production is on a very tight leash, since the film has been dated for a March 4, 2011 release date. Caewood was going to use his vfx company for the visual effects, but it became clear that because his company is busy on other projects, adding Apollo 18 would make it difficult to make the date. Bekmambetov will instead take the vfx in-house through his Moscow-based facility, Bazelevs, where the Apollo 18 work will be completed in time for its March release date before the studio focuses on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which Bekmambetov is directing for Fox. Deadline was first to reveal that TWC was acquiring Apollo 18, a documentary-style feature that is based on “found footage” from Apollo 18’s undocumented and covert mission to the moon, which revealed evidence of an alien life form.
Timur Bekmambetov Finds New Director For 'Apollo 18' Liftoff
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
Latest Film News
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The…