No wonder Rupert Murdoch is so keen to own BSkyB outright. Having invested so heavily in technology, from digital switch-over right through to 3D, Murdoch wants to reap his investment. Sky’s annual turnover in its last financial year to June 2010 was £5.9 billion. It’s estimated this will grow to over £8 billion by 2016. BSkyB, the UK pay-TV operator, had expected to hit 10 million by the end of this year. Instead, it announced it had achieved the target this morning. Steve Liechti, media analyst with Investec tells me the long-term target looked almost impossible when James Murdoch set it back in August 2004, when subscriber numbers were at 7.4 million. At that point subscriber numbers were only inching up. Compared to the old management – which had just been fixated on share price – James Murdoch spent heavily on new technology including HD. Around a third of customers have now upgraded to HD, while almost 25% take Sky’s broadband and home phone package. “It show how successful the dual approach of ‘halo’ product such as HD and 3D and ‘value’ product strategy has been,” Liechti tells me.
Sky Gets 10M Subscribers Ahead Of Sked
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Latest TV News
- CNN’s Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As “Fantasyland”, Glenn Beck Calls Tapper’s Town Hall “Grotesque”…
- Regan Arts Sells Story Of California’s Leading Abortionist For TV Development
- Olympics Ratings Slide To Icy 2018 Low, Slightly Up From Sochi 2014 On Last Night
- Top BBC Presenter Claims Class Pay Gap As Wide As Gender Pay Gap
- ‘The Simpsons’ Predicted USA’s Olympic Gold Medal Win In Curling Eight Years Ago
- Omarosa Talks About Writing A Tell-All on ‘Celebrity Big Brother’, Says She Has To “Tell Her Truth”