EXCLUSIVE: Now this is what I would call an event: NBC’s freshman drama The Event — which was recently picked up for a full season despite eroding ratings — is pursuing Emmy-nominated Friday Night Lights star Connie Britton for a major recurring role. According to sources, producers — one of whom is Britton’s longtime FNL director, Jeffrey Reiner — put a feeler out to the actress to play a senator’s wife. When her husband suddenly dies, the Harvard grad and former powerhouse attorney is given 90 days to prove herself worthy of his seat. And let there be no doubt that Britton is their first choice for the role; the casting breakdown lists the name of the character in question as “Senator Britton.” Should she bite, this would be the MVP’s first TV gig since wrapping up her five-season stint on FNL last July; the show’s final episodes are currently airing on DirecTV. Michael Ausiello will be contributing to Deadline.com and Movieline.com as he preps for the early 2011 launch of a new TV-centric website.
NBC's 'The Event' Wooing Connie Britton
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fear The Walking Dead' Finale: Gale Anne Hurd On Season 2, 'Walking Dead' Season 6 & No Zombie Apocalypse Crossover
'Martian' 2nd-Best Opening For October, Damon & Scott Despite Losing Fuel Sunday; Verdi Trips 'Walk' - B.O. Postmortem
'Collateral Beauty' Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon Exits Project Over Creative Differences With Studio
Latest TV News
- ABC Buys Legal Drama ‘Conviction’ From Mark Gordon Company As Put Pilot
- ‘Gotham’ EP On Tonight’s Joker Origin Shocker & Honoring The Batman Legacy
- Roger Bart Joins ‘Graves’ On Epix; Tembi Locke In USA Pilot ‘Shooter’
- Harvey Weinstein & BBC Debut ‘War And Peace’ Footage, Talk Future Collaborations – Mipcom
- Does Lionsgate Have Starz In Its Eyes?
- Nancy Drew Drama Series In Works At CBS