EXCLUSIVE: Latenight queen Chelsea Handler is making a move in primetime with a comedy project based on her books, which, in a competitive situation, landed at NBC with a put pilot commitment. The project titled after one of Handler’s books, Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, is described as an autobiographical multi-camera comedy based on Handler’s life in her twenties. It hails from Warner Bros. and Tom Werner’s studio-based Werner Entertainment. Dharma & Greg co-creator Dottie Zicklin and Julie Larson, both with UTA, will write the adaptation. They will executive produce the project with CAA-repped Handler, who won’t be starring, her producing partner at Borderline Amazing Prods. Tom Brunelle and Werner Entertainment’s Werner and Mike Clements. The comedy will be centered on a twentysomething woman named Chelsea who won’t have the same profession as comedian/author Handler but will carry a lot of the traits in her character as depicted in Handler’s 3 best-selling autobiographical books: My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. The compilations of humorous essays about Handler’s everyday life, family, friends and romantic/sexual relationships will also be used as source material for stories in the TV project. Handler, who has hosted Chalsea Lately on NBC’s soon-to-be-corporate sibling E! since 2006, recently signed on to star in and produce After Lately, a half-hour semi-scripted comedy for the channel, which will follow the backstage goings at her latenight talk show. She also just landed a juicy role opposite Reese Witherspoon, Tom Hardy and Chris Pine in the McG-directed feature This Means War. This is Zicklin’s second project to sell in a competitive situation this season. She also sold a comedy spec to Fox.
NBC Picks Up Chelsea Handler Comedy
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'