NBC has added supernatural soap Vines to its roster of drama projects in development for next season, with The Ring director Hideo Nakata possibly executive producing and possibly direct. The project, from writer Mark Kruger (The 4400) and film producers Michael Aguilar (The Departed) and Taka Ichise (The Ring and The Grudge movies), was originally developed as a feature, which serves as inspiration for the potential series. It centers on a troubled family desperate for a fresh start that takes over a Napa Valley winery whose ancient vines possess dangerous mystical powers. UMS is producing with Aguilar’s Dos Tontos banner and Ichise’s OZLA Pictires; Aguilar, Kruger and Ichise executive producing the project. Nakata directed the original Japanese movies Ring and Ring 2 as well as the Hollywood sequel The Ring Two and another Japanese movie that got a Hollywood remake, Dark Water. Kruger is with WME and Madhouse.
NBC Develops Winery-Set Supernatural Soap
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over