NBC, which has 8 comedies on tap for this season – all single-camera – is mulling a return to the multi-camera genre. In one of the last comedy buys this season, the network went for a multi-camera project from sitcom veteran Peter Murrieta. It is one of several multi-camera comedies NBC has put in development this season, including Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, a sitcom based on Chelsea Handler’s books, and a project by veteran Bob Kushell. The Murrieta project, produced by UMS and 3 Arts, involves a hipster, who is a first-generation Mexican American, being pulled into his family’s business and will focus on the dichotomy of his traditional past and his “hip and cool” new life. Murrieta hatched the idea for the project with Eddie Gorodetsky, co-executive producer on the two strongest multi-camera comedies on the air, CBS’ The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. Murrieta is writing, with one of multi-camera sitcom’s genre’s best-known directors, Jamie Widdoes, on board to direct the potential pilot. Widdoes also directed the pilot for Murrieta’s semi-autobiographical sitcom for the WB Greetings from Tucson. Murrieta most recently served as executive producer/showrunner on Wizards of Waverly Place for the Disney Channel series’ first 3 seasons. With him at the helm, the show landed the first best series Emmy Award for Disney Channel last year in the children’s program category. (Murrieta, repped by CAA and 3 Arts, won a second Emmy this year for Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie). Following the end of Friends, Frasier and Will & Grace, NBC has gone the single-camera route, gradually building an all-single-camera comedy lineup. In May, it picked up 4 new single-camera series to join its existing comedy roster of The Office, 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation and Community.
NBC Developing Sitcom With Peter Murrieta
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'