It will go down in the annals of TV Selling Season 2010 as the project that was pitched and sold over the phone. Fox has closed a deal for a single-camera comedy from Meet the Parents writer John Hamburg. The untitled project, which Hamburg co-created and will co-write with Ian Helfer, is about a father and son, both recently divorced, who become roommates and explore the dating world together. It hails from 20th Century Fox TV and studio-based Chernin Entertainment. It stems from a blind script deal Hamburg signed with the 20th TV in August. Hamburg, Helfer, Peter Chernin and Katherine Pope are all executive producing. Hamburg, who co-wrote all 3 films in the Meet the Parents franchise, has been so busy working on the upcoming third installment, Little Fockers, in New York that he couldn’t fly in for pitch meetings with the networks. He ended up pitching the project over the phone to Fox’s entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who bought it on the spot. WME-repped Hamburg also co-wrote and directed I Love You, Man and wrote and directed Along Came Polly. In TV, he previously worked on Fox as a director on the cult Judd Apatow comedy Undeclared and also created, executive produced and directed the short-lived CBS comedy series Welcome to the Captain. Hamburg and Helfer have been friends since they went to Brown together. Helfer, repped by Gersh and Principal Entertainment, co-wrote the upcoming feature The Oranges.
Fox Picks Up John Hamburg Comedy
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Lenora Crichlow & Spencer Grammer Join 'Mr. Robinson' On NBC
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings On Par In Households, Slip In Demo With Host Cameron Diaz
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox