It will go down in the annals of TV Selling Season 2010 as the project that was pitched and sold over the phone. Fox has closed a deal for a single-camera comedy from Meet the Parents writer John Hamburg. The untitled project, which Hamburg co-created and will co-write with Ian Helfer, is about a father and son, both recently divorced, who become roommates and explore the dating world together. It hails from 20th Century Fox TV and studio-based Chernin Entertainment. It stems from a blind script deal Hamburg signed with the 20th TV in August. Hamburg, Helfer, Peter Chernin and Katherine Pope are all executive producing. Hamburg, who co-wrote all 3 films in the Meet the Parents franchise, has been so busy working on the upcoming third installment, Little Fockers, in New York that he couldn’t fly in for pitch meetings with the networks. He ended up pitching the project over the phone to Fox’s entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who bought it on the spot. WME-repped Hamburg also co-wrote and directed I Love You, Man and wrote and directed Along Came Polly. In TV, he previously worked on Fox as a director on the cult Judd Apatow comedy Undeclared and also created, executive produced and directed the short-lived CBS comedy series Welcome to the Captain. Hamburg and Helfer have been friends since they went to Brown together. Helfer, repped by Gersh and Principal Entertainment, co-wrote the upcoming feature The Oranges.
Fox Picks Up John Hamburg Comedy
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dancing With The Stars' Season 23 Will See Return Of Pros Julianne & Derek Hough, Maksim Chmerkovskiy
James Corden On The Fruits Of 'Carpool Karaoke', The Internet And Those Emmy Nominations - AwardsLine
'House of Cards' Actor Mahershala Ali On His Departure From The Series And Netflix's Upcoming 'Luke Cage'
Latest TV News
- Telemundo Responds To SAG-AFTRA’s Accusation Of Censorship For Not Airing Ad Critical Of NBCUniversal
- ‘Adam Ruins Everything’ Including The Oscars – With A Little Help From Pete Hammond
- AT&T, HBO Ink All-Platform Content Deal; Programming Set For OTT Service
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Season 23 Will See Return Of Pros Julianne & Derek Hough, Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Donald Trump’s Doctor Explains “Astonishingly Healthy” Medical Record To NBC News
- NBC Buys Modern-Day Noah’s Ark Drama Produced By Robert Zemeckis