It will go down in the annals of TV Selling Season 2010 as the project that was pitched and sold over the phone. Fox has closed a deal for a single-camera comedy from Meet the Parents writer John Hamburg. The untitled project, which Hamburg co-created and will co-write with Ian Helfer, is about a father and son, both recently divorced, who become roommates and explore the dating world together. It hails from 20th Century Fox TV and studio-based Chernin Entertainment. It stems from a blind script deal Hamburg signed with the 20th TV in August. Hamburg, Helfer, Peter Chernin and Katherine Pope are all executive producing. Hamburg, who co-wrote all 3 films in the Meet the Parents franchise, has been so busy working on the upcoming third installment, Little Fockers, in New York that he couldn’t fly in for pitch meetings with the networks. He ended up pitching the project over the phone to Fox’s entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who bought it on the spot. WME-repped Hamburg also co-wrote and directed I Love You, Man and wrote and directed Along Came Polly. In TV, he previously worked on Fox as a director on the cult Judd Apatow comedy Undeclared and also created, executive produced and directed the short-lived CBS comedy series Welcome to the Captain. Hamburg and Helfer have been friends since they went to Brown together. Helfer, repped by Gersh and Principal Entertainment, co-wrote the upcoming feature The Oranges.
Fox Picks Up John Hamburg Comedy
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Adam Levine To Produce Autobiographical 1990s Family Comedy For NBC
- Ted Gold Joins Spike TV As Head Of Scripted Series
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'