UPDATED WITH FINAL NUMBERS: Fox News towered over the competition — cable and broadcast — with its midterm election coverage last night. According to Nielsen, Fox News averaged 7 million viewers in primetime, up 128% from the network’s previous midterm election coverage in 2006 and more than doubling the audiences of CNN (2.4 million) and MSNBC (2 million). In the 25-54 demo, Fox News drew 2.4 million viewers vs. 1 million for CNN and 669,000 for MSNBC. Fox News’ viewership peaked with 7.2 million viewers between 9-10 PM, compared to CNN and MSNBC’s peak audiences of 2.6 million and 2 million, respectively, from 10-11 PM. During the 10 PM hour, Fox News also beat the three broadcast networks as it averaged 6.9 million viewers vs. 5.9 million for ABC’s election coverage, 6 million for CBS’s and 6.1 million for NBC’s. For its entire marathon coverage from 6 PM to 3 AM, Fox News averaged 5.3 million viewers, beating CNN (1.8 million) and MSNBC (1.5 million) combined. It was a big night for Fox News’ core conservative audience as the Republican Party took control of the House and made significant gains in the Senate.
Fox News Dominates Election Ratings
What's Hot on Deadline
'Show Dogs' Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
'Outlander's Sam Heughan Joins Vin Diesel In Sony's 'Bloodshot'; Eiza Gonzalez, Michael Sheen Also Aboard
ABC Answers Michael Jackson Estate's Claim That Network Didn't Secure Rights For Special On Late Singer - Update
'The Middle' Series Finale: ABC's Fond Farewell To America's Beloved TV Family Is One "Heck Of A Ride"
'The Middle' Co-Creator On The "Bittersweet" Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
Latest TV News
- ‘The Chew’ Hosts React To Cancellation Of Daytime Talk Show
- Jimmy Kimmel On Donald Trump’s Spygate: Who You Gonna Trust, FBI Or Pumpkin McPornHumper?
- Seth Meyers: Donald Trump Openly Interfering In Criminal Investigation With “Spygate” Conspiracy Theory
- Stephen Colbert Takes Viewers Down Donald Trump’s FBI Conspiracy Theory Rabbit Hole
- ‘Empire’s New Showrunner On Tonight’s Finale [Spoiler] Death & Season 5 “Reset”
- ‘9-1-1’: Ryan Guzman Joins Fox Drama As Firefighter