Johnny Depp was interviewed by Vanity Fair on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and had one interesting revelation: “They couldn’t stand him. They just couldn’t stand him,” Depp says of Disney’s reaction to his controversial interpretation of Sparrow. “I think it was Michael Eisner, the head of Disney at the time, who was quoted as saying, ‘He’s ruining the movie.’ Depp reveals that he remained unfazed by the studio’s hysteria. “Upper-echelon Disney-ites, going, ‘What’s wrong with him? Is he, you know, like some kind of weird simpleton? Is he drunk? By the way, is he gay?…’ And so I actually told this woman who was the Disney-ite… ‘But didn’t you know that all my characters are gay?’ Which really made her nervous.”
Depp: Disney Hated His 'Gay' Jack Sparrow
What's Hot on Deadline
After Protests, Mandy Patinkin Drops Plan To Take Over Lead In Broadway's 'Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812'
Mario Cantone Debuts As Potty-Mouth White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci On 'The President Show'
Latest Film News
- ‘Dunkirk’ Currently Pushing ‘Emoji Movie’ Out Of Top Spot With $28M+ – Late Night Update
- Patti Deutsch Dies: ‘Laugh-In’ And ‘Match Game’ Regular & Veteran Voice Actor Was 73
- ‘An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power’ Review: Al Gore Back & More Vital Than Ever
- AT&T Formally Positions John Stankey To Run Time Warner’s Assets
- ‘Last Flag Flying’ Moves To Lionsgate And Up A Week On Release Schedule
- Lionsgate’s Jon Feltheimer Made $35.3M In Latest Fiscal Year, Up 223%