EXCLUSIVE: Director Baz Luhrmann is expanding his search for Daisy Buchanan as he moves closer to committing to The Great Gatsby as his next film. Deadline revealed recently that Luhrmann did a workshop of the screenplay he wrote with Craig Pearce, with Leonardo DiCaprio reading Jay Gatsby, Tobey Maguire reading Nick Carraway, and The Town‘s Rebecca Hall reading Daisy Buchanan. Luhrmann wants those guys to star, but he’s casting a wider net on Daisy. I’m told that Hall is in the running, but that he’s got a bunch of actresses and wants to see how they read with DiCaprio. Luhrmann likes to work shop his scripts, and this should play out over the next two weeks, in New York. This might be hard for some of the actresses, who are shooting movies abroad. Among the names I’ve heard on Baz’s list: Keira Knightley, Amanda Seyfried, Blake Lively, Abbie Cornish, Michelle Williams and Scarlett Johansson. Aside from those names, I’ve heard that Luhrmann is also sweet on Natalie Portman, the Black Swan star who is in wide demand and recently was courted for Gravity and then dropped out of Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, a role for which Lionsgate likes Johansson and Bradley Cooper. Daisy was played in the last film by Mia Farrow, and I thought she was a bit flighty and delicate and not as manipulative as she was in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel. The film is set up at Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Baz Casting Wider Daisy Net For 'Gatsby'
What's Hot on Deadline
Bart & Fleming: What Leo Plays In Tarantino Film; Why Gender Argument On Wahlberg/Williams Was Wrong
Latest Film News
- Danny Strong Hired To Script Walt Disney’s Remake Of ‘Oliver!’
- ‘Lucky’ Producers Tap Richard Kahan To Script New Feature Drama ‘Lifeline’
- ‘Itzhak’ Lands Greenwich Entertainment Deal, Gets March Release
- ‘Monsters And Men’ Sundance First Look: “Can’t You See What’s Happening Out There?”
- Robert Redford Slams Harvey Weinstein, Declares Hollywood “Tipping Point” At Sundance ’18 Opening Presser
- PGA Finalizes List Of Eligible Producers For Its TV & Docu Nominees – Update