EXCLUSIVE: Jenji Kohan, creator/executive producer of Showtime’s flagship comedy Weeds and the series’ executive producer Matthew Salsberg have a new comedy project, Whales, in the works at the pay cable channel. The half-hour revolves around a group of brilliant and quirky young people, some of them Harvard and MIT graduates, who move to Las Vegas to live in a lavish apartment while pursuing the $10 million prize at the World Series of Poker. Kohan and Salsberg, who is an avid poker player, are writing and executive producing for Lionsgate TV where they have overall deals. Kohan most recently executive produced the Epix/Lionsgate drama pilot Tough Trade. Kohan and Salsberg also collaborated on the 2007 Fox/Lionsgate comedy pilot Me & Lee starring Lee Majors, which the two executive produced and Salsberg wrote. The project was recently resurrected by Syfy, with Salsberg and Kohan writing/executive producing a new take on it for the cable channel. Weeds, which Kohan and Salsberg executive produce with Roberto Benabib, was recently renewed by Showtime for a seventh season.
'Weeds' Executive Producers Developing Poker Comedy At Showtime
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips