Foreign & Colonial, a British fund manager which controls shares in News Corp, is unhappy with Rupert Murdoch for allegedly using company funds to support the Republican Party. It will vote against the re-election of audit committee chairman Sir Rod Eddington to the board at the media giant’s annual investor meeting in New York on Friday. News Corp has given $2 million to the Republican Party in recent months — it recently gave $1 million to the US Chamber of Commerce, a lobbyist group which campaigns for Republicans to take control of Congress and $1 million to Republican candidates standing for election in the mid-terms. F&C represents investors angry that Murdoch is using News Corp funds for personal politics. “There is no evidence of a political contributions policy or process at News Corp and the board does not have an explicit oversight role,” F&C tells me. F&C’s corporate governance head Karina Litvack has expressed “concern” at News Corp using shareholder funds for political contributions. News Corporation declined to comment.
Rupert Murdoch Donations Raise Eyebrows
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This. America's On A Roll!"
Latest TV News
- The Hillbillies Have Eyes In New ‘American Horror Story’ Season 6 Teasers
- Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: “First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This. America’s On A Roll!”
- Stephen Colbert Welcomes Comedy Central ‘Broad City’ Talent To ‘Late Show’
- Hillary Clinton Rips Donald Trump For “Bigotry & Bombast” In DNC Speech
- Hollywood Reacts To Hillary Clinton DNC Speech: Making History Leads Way Amid Jokes & Jibes
- Steve Guttenberg “Moved” By Bill Clinton’s ‘Police Academy’ Love