EXCLUSIVE: Eddie Murphy is set to join Ben Stiller and Alan Alda in Tower Heist, the Brett Ratner-directed caper film for Universal Pictures. Imagine’s Brian Grazer is producing, and Murphy will join Karen Kehela Sherwood and Kim Roth as executive producers. Jeff Nathanson, Ratner’s accomplice in the Rush Hour films, is rewriting the latest version by Ted Griffin. Murphy has been mentioned as a possible participant going back to the film’s original configuration as an African American version of Ocean’s Eleven, when it was called Trump Heist. Trump was dropped as was that casting equation, and now, the storyline deals with operations and maintenance workers in a luxury Manhattan high-rise whose pension funds were looted by a Bernie Madoff-like Wall Street crook, who is living high style in a penthouse apartment, under house arrest. Led by an overworked building manager (Stiller), the workers use their knowledge of the inner workings of the building to rip him off. WME-repped Murphy became a star playing street-smart characters who stuck it to the man in movies from 48 Hours to Trading Places. If he’s still got some of that mojo, he classes up Tower Heist considerably.
Eddie Murphy In Universal's 'Tower Heist'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest TV News
- So What Happened Last Night In Sweden? Twitter Ponders Donald Trump Mystery
- Sen. John McCain Reassures ‘Meet The Press’ Host “We Need You”; Beltway Programs Swoon
- ‘Gunpowder’: Kit Harington, Mark Gatiss, Liv Tyler & Peter Mullan Light Up BBC Drama
- CAS Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Among Winners – Full List
- Donald Trump Mauls Media At Florida Rally
- ‘Shark Tank’ & ‘Hawaii Five-O’ Ratings Down, CBS & ABC Tied For Demo Top Spot