The BBC said this morning that the upcoming Season 6 of its flagship drama Doctor Who will open with a two-parter set and partly filmed in the U.S. It was written by Doctor Who head writer and showrunner Steven Moffat. The two-episode season opener will be co-produced by BBC America, with key scenes being filmed in Utah in November. The story is set in the late ‘60s and finds the Doctor (Matt Smith), Amy (Karen Gillan) and Rory (Arthur Darvill) on a secret mission “that takes them on an adventure from the desert in Utah – right to the Oval Office.” In the U.S., the trio of Dr. Who actors will be joined by Alex Kingston who reprises her role as River Song. “The Doctor has visited every weird and wonderful planet you can imagine, so he was bound get round to America eventually,” Moffat said. “And of course every Doctor Who fan will be jumping up and down and saying he’s been in America before. But not for real, not on location – and not with a story like this one! Oh, you wait!” Season 6 will follow a Christmas special guest starring Katherine Jenkins and Michael Gambon and will air on BBC America in 2 blocks, one in spring 2011 and one in the fall. Dr. Who‘s trip to the U.S. follows its spinoff Torchwood‘s permanent move to Hollywood as part of the deal between BBC and Starz.
'Dr. Who' In America For Pair Of Episodes
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Sets $12M Pantelion Record, 'Baahubali 2' Mighty With $10M+, 'Circle' A Square As 'F8' Leads Listless Weekend
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office; Tops 'Furious 7' For New China Record
Latest TV News
- Kelly Ripa Teases Monday Announcement Of New ‘Live’ Co-Host
- ‘Orange Is The New Black’ Hacker Shares Stolen Episodes; Blog Publishes List Of Possible Additional Shows…
- WGA & AMPTP: Rare Sunday Talks “Moving Closer” To Deal
- Morning After: Samantha Bee Shrugs Off Jake Tapper’s “Smug Liberal” Question
- Samantha Bee’s Not the White House Correspondents Dinner Serves Trump Roast
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner Live Blog: Who Needs Donald Trump?