CNN today fired anchor Rick Sanchez a day after Sanchez assailed The Daily Show host John Stewart as a “bigot” and suggested that CNN and the other networks are run by Jews. Sanchez made his rant Thursday on the Sirius XM radio show “Stand Up! with Pete Dominick”. CNN acted within 24 hours. “Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company. We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well,” the Time Warner cable news channel said in a statement. Sanchez recently lost his afternoon show on CNN Rick’s List, which was by CNN Newsroom. He then hosted a primetime version of the show until this week when a new program hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and columnist Kathleen Parker launched in the slot. The Daily Show considered Sanchez an intellectual lightweight compared to CNN stars Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blizter and made him the butt of jokes, which Sanchez resented and thought was racist. (He’s Hispanic.) CNN has always fought some perceptions that it is pro-Arab and anti-Israel. In July, CNN fired veteran Middle East correspondent Octavia Nasr after she tweeted about the passing of Hezbollah’s Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah saying that she respected him a lot. So this is the second dramatic dismissal of a CNN personality over outside comments.
CNN Axes Anchor Rick Sanchez After Anti-Jew & Anti-Jon Stewart Rant On The Radio
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over