CNN today fired anchor Rick Sanchez a day after Sanchez assailed The Daily Show host John Stewart as a “bigot” and suggested that CNN and the other networks are run by Jews. Sanchez made his rant Thursday on the Sirius XM radio show “Stand Up! with Pete Dominick”. CNN acted within 24 hours. “Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company. We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well,” the Time Warner cable news channel said in a statement. Sanchez recently lost his afternoon show on CNN Rick’s List, which was by CNN Newsroom. He then hosted a primetime version of the show until this week when a new program hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and columnist Kathleen Parker launched in the slot. The Daily Show considered Sanchez an intellectual lightweight compared to CNN stars Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blizter and made him the butt of jokes, which Sanchez resented and thought was racist. (He’s Hispanic.) CNN has always fought some perceptions that it is pro-Arab and anti-Israel. In July, CNN fired veteran Middle East correspondent Octavia Nasr after she tweeted about the passing of Hezbollah’s Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah saying that she respected him a lot. So this is the second dramatic dismissal of a CNN personality over outside comments.
CNN Axes Anchor Rick Sanchez After Anti-Jew & Anti-Jon Stewart Rant On The Radio
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Andreeva
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'
- Christina Aguilera-Produced Dramedy, Twitter-Based Comedy, Shakespeare-Themed Drama On Prospect Park's Slate