CNN today fired anchor Rick Sanchez a day after Sanchez assailed The Daily Show host John Stewart as a “bigot” and suggested that CNN and the other networks are run by Jews. Sanchez made his rant Thursday on the Sirius XM radio show “Stand Up! with Pete Dominick”. CNN acted within 24 hours. “Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company. We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well,” the Time Warner cable news channel said in a statement. Sanchez recently lost his afternoon show on CNN Rick’s List, which was by CNN Newsroom. He then hosted a primetime version of the show until this week when a new program hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and columnist Kathleen Parker launched in the slot. The Daily Show considered Sanchez an intellectual lightweight compared to CNN stars Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blizter and made him the butt of jokes, which Sanchez resented and thought was racist. (He’s Hispanic.) CNN has always fought some perceptions that it is pro-Arab and anti-Israel. In July, CNN fired veteran Middle East correspondent Octavia Nasr after she tweeted about the passing of Hezbollah’s Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah saying that she respected him a lot. So this is the second dramatic dismissal of a CNN personality over outside comments.
CNN Axes Anchor Rick Sanchez After Anti-Jew & Anti-Jon Stewart Rant On The Radio
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'Stalker' Starts OK, 'Black-ish' Drops In Week 2, 'Criminal Minds' Solid In Return – Ratings Rat Race
- USA Network Renews 'Satisfaction', Cancels 'Rush'
- Nielsen Mystery: Why Are ABC's Fast National Ratings Grossly Underreported?
- TV Land Picks Up 'Impastor' & 'Teachers' To Series
- 'Utopia' Moves To Friday, Replaced By 'MasterChef Junior' On Tuesday
- 'Selfie' & 'Manhattan Love Story' Start Soft, Edge Fox Comedies; 'New Orleans' Holds, 'Forever' Drops – Ratings Rat Race