The revamp is set for the Lucille Lortel Theatre for 2011-2012, and director Stafford Arima (Ragtime and Altar Boyz) is promising new songs and material. But this MCC Theater announcement that it plans to retool and relaunch the musical Carrie makes me think there is still a chance for remakes of Ishtar and Plan 9 From Outer Space. Because Carrie was that big a flop, historic, losing $8 million. As a cub reporter at New York Newsday assigned to cover Broadway opening nights, I went to the 1988 opening of Carrie expecting big things because the Stephen King book is such a chilling coming of age tale and the movie wasn’t bad, either. The musical started out OK and, at intermission, I chatted up King, who was encouraged. But then we returned to our seats, the curtain rose, and the bad kids launched into Out For Blood. Meant to be a showstopper, the number cemented Carrie‘s rep as one of the worst ever musicals. Reviewers were merciless, and the musical closed after just 21 performances. Changing that second act opener seems a no-brainer.
'Carrie' Back Again On Broadway: But Why?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
Latest TV News
- Chuck Schumer Demands House Dump Intel Committee Chair Devin Nunes After White House Deflects Questions
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Draws Nearly 1M Viewers In VH1 Debut
- OWN Sets Docuseries ‘Released’ & ‘Checking Inn’ For Saturday Nights This Fall
- Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine’s Show Only Because He Is Fan, “Plain And Simple”
- ‘Arrow’: Katie Cassidy To Return As Black Siren, Will Be Regular In Season 6
- NFL Approves Raiders Move To Las Vegas For 2019 Season