It is the end of the road for HBO’s polygamy drama Big Love. The series’ upcoming fifth season will be its last, with Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer writing the closer as the series’ finale. Despite gripes about the most recent fourth season, the series, from Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman’s Playtone Prods., has remained for the most part creatively solid. It earned a best drama Emmy nomination last year and boasts a solid ensemble cast of established pros Bill Paxton, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Chloe Sevigny as well as ingenues Amanda Seyfried and Ginnifer Goodwin both of whom went on to star in movies. “It has been an honor and pleasure to work with series creators Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer on this unique and provocative series, and I’m happy that they will be able to bring the story to its close the way they always envisioned,” HBO’s president of programming Michael Lombardo said. “We look forward with great anticipation to collaborating with Mark and Will on their next venture.” Olsen and Scheffer are working on a new project for the pay cable network, which will be announced shortly. “When we created Big Love in 2002, we had a strong conception of the journey the Henrickson family would make over the course of the series, of the story we had to tell,” Olsen and Scheffer said. “While we were in the writers’ room this year shaping our fifth season, we discovered that we were approaching the culmination of that story.” Big Love is executive produced by Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, David Knoller, Bernadette Caulfield and Mark V. Olsen & Will Scheffer.
'Big Love' To End Its Run After Season 5
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Latest TV News
- Univision Pulls Ads; Owner Of Orlando Pulse Club, Mothers, Victims, GLADD Press The Network To Stop “Blood Bath”
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'
- ‘MacGyver’ Rebounds In Demo Ratings, ‘Shark Tank’ & ‘Hawaii Five-0’ Top Night
- ‘Doctor Who’ Trailer Teases Return Of “Most Dangerous Man In The Universe”
- ‘Real Time’: Bill Maher Slams ‘Bait’-Taking Liberals & Huggy, Panda-Loving TV Journalists