EXCLUSIVE: After a year in development, ABC’s Charlie’s Angels reboot is headed to pilot production. The Sony TV-produced project was originally set up at ABC with a pilot commitment last November with Josh Friedman as a writer. It didn’t go to pilot stage and, after the upfronts, it was put in redevelopment with new writers, Smallville creators/executive producers Al Gough and Miles Millar. Back then, it was one of 5 projects put on fast-track development under previous ABC president Steve McPherson. After McPherson’s successor Paul Lee took over in August, there has been chatter that he liked Gough and Millar’s script. Top casting director John Papsidera recently was quietly tapped to start some exploratory search for the leads. The project just released an official breakdown and I hear it has locked in Miami as location for the shoot, eyed for January. Gough and Millar are executive producing with Leonard Goldberg, executive producer of the original series, Drew Barrymore and Nancy Juvonen. The three also produced the two Charlie’s Angels movies that starred Barrymore. So far, Charlie’s Angels has followed closely the successful reboot of another popcorn 1970s series, Hawaii Five-0, which also went through two cycles of development until its second script by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Peter Lenkov was picked up to pilot. It went on to become a series, which was recently picked up for a full season. Now let the guessing begin who the new TV angels will be?
ABC's 'Charlie's Angels' To Shoot Pilot
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'
- FX Renews Comedies 'Married' & 'You're The Worst', Moves 'Worst' To FXX
- NBC Nabs 'Raven Rock' Drama From Robert Zemeckis, Bob Cooper, eOne & Paramount TV
- Frances Berwick To Lead NBCU Lifestyle Networks, Adding Oversight Of E! & Esquire; Adam Stotsky Named E! GM
- 'Big' Series In Works At Fox With 'Enlisted's Kevin Biegel & Mike Royce