Good news for ABC freshman No Ordinary Family — the supernatural family drama just received an order for 4 additional scripts from the network, the only new fall ABC series to get such an order. The network also picked up 4 more scripts from veteran Sunday family drama Brothers & Sisters, which was given a reduced 18-episode order in May but has performed solidly in the ratings this fall. The third ABC series to get an additional script order is Shonda Rhimes/Jenna Bans’ midseason medical drama Off the Map with one extra script picked up. Additional script pickups are usually a precursor to firm episodic orders. The script order to No Ordinary Family is not surprising as the Greg Berlanti-produced drama has emerged as ABC’s most promising hourlong fall series, mostly because the others have all struggled mightily. It is somewhat surprising that new ABC comedy Better with You is not on the list. It has been the lowest-rated member of ABC’s Wednesday comedy block but has shown some promise. As for the script orders to both Brothers & Sisters and Off the Map, ABC might be considering a new plan for the launch of the latter. Originally, the show was supposed to premiere behind Desperate Housewives just like Rhimes’ first ABC medical drama, Grey’s Anatomy, did almost 6 years ago, while Brothers & Sisters takes a break (thus the show’s reduced order). But if the 4 additional scripts for Brothers & Sisters and the one for Off the Map all get converted to episodic orders, ABC may end up with too many originals for the Sunday 10 PM slot.
3 ABC Series Get Additional Script Orders
What's Hot on Deadline
TV Academy Board Votes To Initiate Disciplinary Proceedings On Harvey Weinstein; Hearing Set For November
Latest TV News
- TV Academy Board Votes To Initiate Disciplinary Proceedings On Harvey Weinstein; Hearing Set For November
- Dodgers Clinch World Series Berth; Can Yankees Complete Major TV Market Sweep?
- Fox Buys Native American Family Comedy From Lucas Brown Eyes & ‘It’s KatzSmith
- Sean Penn Calls Netflix’s ‘El Chapo’ Docu “Cheap” & “Reckless”; It’s Still…
- CBS Developing ‘Whistleblower’ Drama From Chris Silber & Jerry Bruckheimer TV
- ‘The Loud House' Creator Chris Savino Fired By Nickelodeon Following Sexual Harassment Allegations