Remember how in the 1980s and 1990s standup comedians ruled the comedy series world as the broadcast networks were clamoring to develop sitcoms with them? Well, it’s been awhile since the last big one based on standup, Everybody Loves Raymond, went off the air, and now networks are looking in other places for fresh writing/acting talent. NBC is taking a chance this development season with a high-concept comedy from up-and-coming comic Mo Mandel. The project, produced by 3 Arts, chronicles what a group of twentysomethings do in the last five years of their lives before the Earth is destroyed by a meteor. Mandel may also co-star if his script goes to pilot. Mandel broke out at the Montreal Just For Laughs comedy festival and has pilot acting experience after co-starring on Fox’s Strange Brew last season. WME/3 Arts-repped Mandel, who recently taped his first stand up special for Comedy Central, currently tours, and recurs on Chelsea Lately.
NBC Taps Comic For 20-Something Sitcom
What's Hot on Deadline
'X-Men: Apocalypse' Dawns With $101.5M; 'Angry Birds' Sings With $55.5M, 'Zootopia' #4 Animated Pic Ever Worldwide - Intl Box Office Final
'Fear The Walking Dead' EP Gale Anne Hurd Talks Explosive Midseason Finale, 'Walking Dead' Season 7 & What's Next
'Angry Birds' Takes Flight With $38M No. 1 Debut, 'Sorority' Rushes $21.7M, 'Nice Guys' Finish Last With $11.2M - Final B.O.
Latest TV News
- 'The Man In The High Castle' EP Frank Spotnitz Addresses Stepping Down As Showrunner From Amazon Series
- Vice Media Ups Ciel Hunter To Head Of Content; Fusion Promotes Three Content Execs
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: ‘The Man In The High Castle’ EPs Talk How Amazon Alt-History Series Reflects “Our World”…
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: Bryan Cranston & Anthony Mackie Talk LBJ, MLK Jr & HBO’s ‘All The Way…
- Comedy Writer Niki Schwartz-Wright Inks 20th TV Overall Deal, Joins ‘Speechless’
- ‘Young & Hungry’ Spinoff: Steve Talley Set As Male Lead, Ryan Pinkston Cast, Title & Other…