Stage Entertainment, the London-based theatre chain, was also bidding but has now dropped out, I’m told. Grade has teamed up with theatrical agent Michael Linnit and private investors to acquire the New London, Her Majesty’s, Cambridge and Palace theatres. Of the four, the New London needs the most renovation – although the sightlines of the Palace are dreadful. Theatre producers I’ve spoken to have welcomed the deal. “I think it is good news,” says Matthew Byam Shaw, producer of Enron. “They will probably be decent owners.” Grade’s uncle, Lord Delfont, was a famous theatrical impresario who owned the prestigious London Palladium which Lloyd Webber now runs. Back in 2005, Grade and Linnit attempted to buy Lloyd-Webber’s Really Useful Group before the theatre mogul decided not to sell. Lloyd-Webber’s other “crown jewel” venue remains the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Lloyd-Webber bought his theatre empire for £90 million in 2000 before selling four venues to Nimax Theatres in October 2005. His Phantom of the Opera sequel Love Never Dies opened in March here to mostly negative reviews. It’s looking unlikely that the Phantom sequel will open on Broadway in the spring of 2011 as planned. Its director and choreographer have defected to rival production Catch Me If You Can.
Michael Grade Buying 4 Theatres From Andrew Lloyd-Webber For $75M
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
President Donald Trump Will Not Attend White House Correspondents' Dinner; Event Will Go On As Scheduled (Update)
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'