Fox is taking a second stab at launching a U.S. version of the British comedy series Outnumbered. The network has handed out an off-cycle pilot order to the single-camera comedy from writers Barbara Wallace and Thomas R. Wolfe. It’s being produced by 20th TV, Chernin Entertainment, and Hat Trick Prods, the British company behind the original series created by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin. Inspired by the BBC sitcom, Outnumbered revolves around one set of parents who are often overwhelmed by their three children. Wallace and Wolfe executive produce with Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope and Jimmy Mulville.Fox, whose own hit single-camera comedy Malcolm In the Middle had a similar premise, first tried to adapt Outnumbered during the 2007-08 development season when the project was picked up to pilot written by Larry Levin and produced by MRC and Hat Trick. The pilot starring Ken Marino and Brooke Bloom didn’t go to series. Since then, ABC successfully launched a documentary-style single-camera family comedy, last season’s hit Modern Family. Like Modern Family, the British Outnumbered has a mocumentary feel as it is semi-improvised and the kids’ lines are generally not scripted. Fox is launching a single-camera family comedy this fall, Greg Garcia’s Raising Hope, which, like Outnumbered, was originally ordered as a pilot off-cycle last summer.
Fox Orders 'Outnumbered' Comedy Pilot
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Andreeva
- 'Manhattan Love Story' Cancelled By ABC
- Brody Jenner & Stevie Ryan Relationship Talk Show Ordered By E! As Presentation
- Adam Davidson To Direct Pilot For 'The Walking Dead' Companion Series
- 'Two & Half Men' Co-Creator Lee Aronsohn & Marcus Wiley Sell Comedy To ABC
- Starz Ballet Drama 'Flesh And Bone' To Become Limited Series
- Paul Giamatti & Damian Lewis To Topline Showtime Pilot 'Billions'