Fox is taking a second stab at launching a U.S. version of the British comedy series Outnumbered. The network has handed out an off-cycle pilot order to the single-camera comedy from writers Barbara Wallace and Thomas R. Wolfe. It’s being produced by 20th TV, Chernin Entertainment, and Hat Trick Prods, the British company behind the original series created by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin. Inspired by the BBC sitcom, Outnumbered revolves around one set of parents who are often overwhelmed by their three children. Wallace and Wolfe executive produce with Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope and Jimmy Mulville.Fox, whose own hit single-camera comedy Malcolm In the Middle had a similar premise, first tried to adapt Outnumbered during the 2007-08 development season when the project was picked up to pilot written by Larry Levin and produced by MRC and Hat Trick. The pilot starring Ken Marino and Brooke Bloom didn’t go to series. Since then, ABC successfully launched a documentary-style single-camera family comedy, last season’s hit Modern Family. Like Modern Family, the British Outnumbered has a mocumentary feel as it is semi-improvised and the kids’ lines are generally not scripted. Fox is launching a single-camera family comedy this fall, Greg Garcia’s Raising Hope, which, like Outnumbered, was originally ordered as a pilot off-cycle last summer.
Fox Orders 'Outnumbered' Comedy Pilot
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Adam Levine To Produce Autobiographical 1990s Family Comedy For NBC
- Ted Gold Joins Spike TV As Head Of Scripted Series
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'