Fox is taking a second stab at launching a U.S. version of the British comedy series Outnumbered. The network has handed out an off-cycle pilot order to the single-camera comedy from writers Barbara Wallace and Thomas R. Wolfe. It’s being produced by 20th TV, Chernin Entertainment, and Hat Trick Prods, the British company behind the original series created by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin. Inspired by the BBC sitcom, Outnumbered revolves around one set of parents who are often overwhelmed by their three children. Wallace and Wolfe executive produce with Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope and Jimmy Mulville.Fox, whose own hit single-camera comedy Malcolm In the Middle had a similar premise, first tried to adapt Outnumbered during the 2007-08 development season when the project was picked up to pilot written by Larry Levin and produced by MRC and Hat Trick. The pilot starring Ken Marino and Brooke Bloom didn’t go to series. Since then, ABC successfully launched a documentary-style single-camera family comedy, last season’s hit Modern Family. Like Modern Family, the British Outnumbered has a mocumentary feel as it is semi-improvised and the kids’ lines are generally not scripted. Fox is launching a single-camera family comedy this fall, Greg Garcia’s Raising Hope, which, like Outnumbered, was originally ordered as a pilot off-cycle last summer.
Fox Orders 'Outnumbered' Comedy Pilot
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast
- Peter Gallagher & Olivia Thirlby Join Fox Pilot 'Detour' Inspired By Rivers Cuomo
- Jack Cutmore-Scott To Play Title Role In Fox Pilot ‘Cooper Barrett’s Guide’
- Murder Case Involving Texas Justice of the Peace To Be Developed As HBO Film