TORONTO: IFC is closing a deal for U.S. distribution rights on the Werner Herzog-directed 3D documentary Caves of Forgotten Dreams. I’m told that the deal should be finished today. It’s a 6-figure pact, good money for a documentary whose TV rights were already claimed by The History Channel. It will get a theatrical release in 2011. People were blown away by Herzog’s film, in which he photographed 35,000 year old Chauvet Caves of Southern France, which reveal the origins of human creative expression. The deal’s being negotiated by Submarine’s Josh Braun. It is IFC’s second splashy deal of the Toronto Film Festival, after buying US rights to the raucous superhero romp Super.
IFC Buying Werner Herzog's 'Caves' Docu
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'