Good thing the morons at Universal aren’t in charge of Homeland Security. Because I’ve learned that studio bosses Ron Meyer, Jim Waters, and many others only recently discovered a security breach that has existed on the lot for decades — even throughout all the beefed-up security in effect post-9/11. The bigwigs had no idea non-employees have been able to go onto the lot without showing any ID by telling security guards they’re “a friend of Bill’s” and then heading to the 12-step meetings held in a building near the front gate. Meyer personally found out about the situation by accident 3 weeks ago and immediately ordered a stop to a 27-year-old practice. “Ron went ballistic. He was out of his mind. And it was embarrassing beyond belief that this was allowed at the same time people were using mirrors to check under cars,” a source tells me. No one is suggesting the 12-step members themselves were security threats. But the possibilities for abusing the system by anyone intent on doing harm are obvious. Now 12-step meetings on the lot are for employees only. Universal is still trying to find a nearby meeting room off-lot for the non-employees. (The studio has offered to pay for space but most 12-step programs stipulate that each group be fully self-supporting and not dependent on outside contributions.)
Universal Unaware Of Longtime Security Breach: “Embarrassing Beyond Belief”
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; 'Girls Trip' Hot At $27M+; 'Valerian' Falling To Earth With $16M
Sean Spicer Resigns As Anthony Scaramucci Named White House Communications Director; Trump Lauds "His Great Television Ratings"
Latest TV News
- Comic-Con: David Harbour, Chris Meloni Talk Being Leading Men & Regretful Roles In ‘Brave New Warriors’ Panel
- ‘Twin Peaks’ Panel Kicks Off With Surprise David Lynch Video Visit – Comic-Con
- O.J. Simpson Parole Hearing Attracts 13 Million On Traditional TV
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Brings Winter To Comic-Con Hall H: Child-Burning Witch Melisandre Advising Daenerys Targaryen?
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- ‘Hannity’ Books Sean Spicer, Anthony Scaramucci & Reince Priebus To Spin White House Press Office Explosion