The New York Times and Politico report that the Washington Post Co will sell Newsweek to Dr. Sidney Harman, a 91-year old stereo equipment magnate, philanthropist, and husband of U.S. Rep Jane Harman (D-Calif.). The NYT reports that Harman began selling FM radios in the 1950s. Now, he’ll have to prove that a print newsweekly isn’t the equivalent of the phonograph. He’ll do it without longtime editor Jon Meacham, who’s going to leave. Harman is paying $1, and absorbing Newsweek‘s “considerable financial liabilities”. Newsweek, which has been redesigned as it switched from hard news to trends and analysis, lost nearly $30 million last year alone, and the Washington Post Co has spent a considerable amount of time trying to unload it after almost 50 years. Politico says Donald E. Graham, chairman of The Washington Post Co, personally chose Harman from among several well-heeled bidders because of his centrist politics and because he would provide the most continuity. “Harman plans to keep it as a traditional newsmagazine, with a weekly print edition, and pledged to retain the majority of the magazine’s 350 employees,” sources told Politico.
Reports: Newsweek Sale To Sidney Harman
What's Hot on Deadline
'Hitman's Bodyguard' Shooting Toward $19M-$20M; 'Logan Lucky' Not So Fortunate With $7M-$8M - Midday Update
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
Latest TV News
- ‘Mr. Robot’ Season 3 Clip: Rami Malek’s Elliot Rudely Interrupted At Hacker Tournament
- ‘Real Time’: Former Celeb Apprentice Hopeful Penn Jillette Slams Donald Trump
- Steve Bannon On Exit: “I've Got My Hands Back On My Weapons”
- FX Acquires ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, ‘Logan’, ‘Girls Trip’, ‘Despicable Me 3’, ‘War For The Planet of the Apes’ & More…
- ‘Westworld’s Thandie Newton On HBO’s Series Strengths, Season 2 & Freedom — Emmys
- Kim Kardashian To Co-Host ‘Live With Kelly And Ryan’ This Month