The New York Times and Politico report that the Washington Post Co will sell Newsweek to Dr. Sidney Harman, a 91-year old stereo equipment magnate, philanthropist, and husband of U.S. Rep Jane Harman (D-Calif.). The NYT reports that Harman began selling FM radios in the 1950s. Now, he’ll have to prove that a print newsweekly isn’t the equivalent of the phonograph. He’ll do it without longtime editor Jon Meacham, who’s going to leave. Harman is paying $1, and absorbing Newsweek‘s “considerable financial liabilities”. Newsweek, which has been redesigned as it switched from hard news to trends and analysis, lost nearly $30 million last year alone, and the Washington Post Co has spent a considerable amount of time trying to unload it after almost 50 years. Politico says Donald E. Graham, chairman of The Washington Post Co, personally chose Harman from among several well-heeled bidders because of his centrist politics and because he would provide the most continuity. “Harman plans to keep it as a traditional newsmagazine, with a weekly print edition, and pledged to retain the majority of the magazine’s 350 employees,” sources told Politico.
Reports: Newsweek Sale To Sidney Harman
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Latest TV News
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Genie Francis, ‘General Hospital’s Laura, Bumped Down To Recurring Status On ABC Soap
- ‘History Of Them’: Lisa Vidal, Felix Solis & Amit Shah Join Cast As Multi-Cultural Comedy Gets Formal Pilot Order By…
- CBS Orders Drama Pilot ‘Murder’, Comedy ‘I Mom So Hard’ From Warner Bros. TV
- ‘The Alienist’ Review: Nothing Alienating About TNT’s Deft 19th Century Drama
- NBC Orders ‘The Enemy Within’ Drama Pilot From Ken Woodruff & Vernon Sanders