The British equivalent of Netflix will add 100s of MGM titles to its online streaming service. Lovefilm has 1.4 million subscribers – all of whom have access to streamed movies as part of their membership — making it the third-largest UK subscription movie service after Sky and Virgin Media. There are 5,000 titles available to watch over the internet, compared to over 67,000 on DVD. Lovefilm hopes to double the number of streamed titles to 10,000 available by Christmas – half the number currently available stateside on Netflix. It originally thought that download-to-own (DTO) was the way to go, launching its DTO service in April 2006 with King Kong. Instead, the BBC’s on-demand catch-up service the iPlayer attuned customers to streaming.
Lovefilm Signs MGM Distribution Deal
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Gets More Love Thursday Night Than Emma Watson-Tom Hanks Thriller 'The Circle' - Box Office
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
Latest TV News
- Fox News Slots ‘The Five’ Replacement At 5 PM
- Nicolle Wallace To Host New 4 PM Weekday Show On MSNBC
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Set To Honor ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise
- Netflix Commissions Second German Production ‘Dogs Of Berlin’
- ‘The President Show’ Inaugurates New Term On Comedy Central
- James Corden Can’t Escape Kurt Russell In Funny ‘Late Late Show’ Bit