Tom Hanks was beaming backstage after having picked up the Emmy for Outstanding Miniseries for his work producing the HBO 10-parter The Pacific, the $200 million-plus project that was the most expensive in TV history. Hanks, who with Playtone partner Gary Goetzman exec produced the mini with Steven Spielberg, began by expressing mock outrage that The Amazing Race didn’t win for top reality competition series. “What?” he screamed. “You’re kidding!” He then expressed his wish that more miniseries had been nominated, beyond The Pacific and the Masterpiece Theatre project Return to Cranford. “There are a lot of themes and stories for which miniseries is the perfect medium for them to be told,” Hanks said. “We are all storytellers, and this was a terrific story to be able to tell over the eight years it took to get it done. That’s the great thing about HBO. It isn’t standard television at all. They let us say and do what we wanted. There are no act breaks for commercials and no specific time frame. They give you absolute and total freedom to tell your story and explore your theme in the best way possible. If you have millions to spend, you’d sure as hell better come through or you’re in big trouble.” — Ray Richmond is contributing to Deadline Hollywood’s Emmy coverage.
EMMYS BACKSTAGE: Tom Hanks & 'Pacific'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Devil's Bargain': Blumhouse TV Acquires Book About Steve Bannon & Donald Trump For Limited Series Adaptation
Stephen Colbert Feels "Blessed" By Donald Trump's Pick Of Potty-Mouth Scaramucci As Communications Chief
Samuel L. Jackson To Star In 'Old Man' Drama Series From Jon Steinberg, Warren Littlefield & Fox 21 TV Studios
Ike Barinholtz On "Emotional" Phone Call With Mindy Kaling That Led To His Neck Injury Being Written Into 'Mindy Project' - TCA
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Tweet-Rages After John McCain Kills Obamacare Skinny Repeal
- Mario Cantone Debuts As Potty-Mouth White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci On ‘The President Show…
- Stephen Colbert Feels “Blessed” By Donald Trump’s Pick Of Potty-Mouth Scaramucci As Communications Chief
- Trevor Noah Loves Anthony Scaramucci Since He Set Fire To Reince Priebus And Steve Bannon
- ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Gets Poster & New Promo
- Anthony Scaramucci Threatens To Fire Entire White House Comms Staff In Wild Interview, Then Regrets It – Update