Edie Falco’s lead comedy series actress Emmy for Showtime’s Nurse Jackie made Hollywood history. It marks the first time a television performer has won lead actor Emmy for consecutive regular series roles — Carmela Soprano on HBO’s The Sopranos and now for the title character of Showtime’s Nurse Jackie. She’s also only the third actor — and the first female performer — to win for both comedy and dramatic series roles. The other two: Carroll O’Connor and Robert Young. To say she was legitimately shocked to have won would be an understatement. Her backstage comments reiterated what she said in her acceptance: namely, that she isn’t funny and had no idea what she was doing accepting an Emmy. “The whole comedy world is new terrain for me,” she said. “When I’d found out I was nominated for a comedy series, I laughed my head off. Then I pulled a dress on and came here. But the women I was up against are hysterically funny, talented comediennes…I’m not playing coy here, I’m just really dumbfounded by the events of this evening. Tina Fey? I mean for heaven’s sake, it’s ridiculous.” She added that she hasn’t yet been inside a hospital since she started playing her Nurse Jackie role, so it would be difficult to compare hers to a real life nurse. “I certainly have met nurses who had only good things to say,” Falco said. “Of course if they didn’t, they probably wouldn’t say anything.” — Ray Richmond is contributing to Deadline Hollywood’s Emmy coverage.
EMMYS BACKSTAGE: Edie Falco
What's Hot on Deadline
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop “Blood Bath”…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'
- ‘MacGyver’ Rebounds In Demo Ratings, ‘Shark Tank’ & ‘Hawaii Five-0’ Top Night