Following quarter after quarter of awful performance, including a weak first quarter down 49% because of a too-costly Winter Olympics, NBC Universal turned in the best 2nd quarter revenue performance of all GE units — up 13%. This may be too late to matter much to GE but it’s good news for Comcast which could take possession of the TV/film company by the end of the year if it receives regulatory approval for the deal. (It recently won European Union approval but awaits the FCC’s.) NBCU’s profit hit $607 million, with revenue rising 5% to $3.75 billion. News reports say GE chairman/CEO Jeff Immelt singled out NBCU’s “good revenue and profit growth” — including the broadcast biz where revenue rose 1% and profit 6% helped by a better ad upfront market (+18% in dollars booked) and scatter ad market (+20%). Even NBCU’s O&O’s gained 25%. And once again cable was NBCU’s primary driver of growth, with revenue up 7% and profit up 10%.
Revenue & Profit Growth For GE's NBCU Q2
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Sets $12M Pantelion Record, 'Baahubali 2' Mighty With $10M+, 'Circle' Is A Square As 'F8' Leads Listless Weekend
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office; Tops 'Furious 7' For New China Record
Latest TV News
- Morning After: Samantha Bee Shrugs Off Jake Tapper’s “Smug Liberal” Question
- Samantha Bee’s Not the White House Correspondents Dinner Serves Trump Roast
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner Live Blog: Who Needs Donald Trump?
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner Livestream – Watch It Here
- Donald Trump Blasts Hollywood & Media Elites At “Boring” POTUS Snubbed WHCD
- Will Ferrell Brings His George W. Bush To Samantha Bee’s Press Bash