LeBron James’ special The Decision delivered big ratings for ESPN last night. The special, in which James announced his decision to join the Miami Heat, generated a 7.3 overnight rating from 9-10:15 p.m. ET, the highest rating for any program – on broadcast or cable – last night. It was also ESPN’s highest overnight rating for any non-NFL ESPN program this year. The telecast peaked with a 9.6 rating from 9:15-9:30 p.m., when James announced his choice. The top three local markets were heart-broken Cleveland (26.0 metered market rating) and Columbus (14.2) and jubilant Miami (12.8). How large of an audience did James draw? Consider this: ESPN’s exclusive interview with Tiger Woods on March 21 posted a 0.4 metered market rating. ESPN’s exclusive interview with Alex Rodriguez on Feb. 9, 2009 generated a 0.9 metered market. The Decision was also a hit online, generating more than 300,000 unique viewers on ESPN3.com.
RATINGS RAT RACE: LeBron James Is A Hit!
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
More From Andreeva
- Briga Heelan To Star In NBC Comedy Pilot ‘How We Live’
- Dave Annable & Melissa George Cast In NBC Pilot ‘Heart Matters’
- Daniel Stern To Star In ‘Strange Calls'; Colm Feore Joins ‘The Kingmakers’
- Patrick Warburton To Star In Suzanne Martin NBC Comedy Pilot
- Eileen Ford Bio ‘Model Woman’ Optioned By Sony TV For Series From KJ Steinberg
- Elliott Gould Cast In CBS’ Pilot ‘Doubt'; Lacey Chabert In ABC’s ‘Family Fortune’