LeBron James’ special The Decision delivered big ratings for ESPN last night. The special, in which James announced his decision to join the Miami Heat, generated a 7.3 overnight rating from 9-10:15 p.m. ET, the highest rating for any program – on broadcast or cable – last night. It was also ESPN’s highest overnight rating for any non-NFL ESPN program this year. The telecast peaked with a 9.6 rating from 9:15-9:30 p.m., when James announced his choice. The top three local markets were heart-broken Cleveland (26.0 metered market rating) and Columbus (14.2) and jubilant Miami (12.8). How large of an audience did James draw? Consider this: ESPN’s exclusive interview with Tiger Woods on March 21 posted a 0.4 metered market rating. ESPN’s exclusive interview with Alex Rodriguez on Feb. 9, 2009 generated a 0.9 metered market. The Decision was also a hit online, generating more than 300,000 unique viewers on ESPN3.com.
RATINGS RAT RACE: LeBron James Is A Hit!
What's Hot on Deadline
Trevor Noah Fracas "Much Ado About Nothing," Millennials Get Him, Says Aasif Mandvi, Quoting 451-Year-Old Playwright
Latest TV News
- Exit Hugh Jackman, Enter Josephine Baker: Cush Jumbo’s Changing Times
- Trevor Noah Fracas “Much Ado About Nothing,” Millennials Get Him, Says Aasif Mandvi, Quoting…
- Citing ‘Greatest American Hero’ Case, Judge Rules ‘Three’s Company’ Parody Doesn’t Violate…
- Netflix’s ‘Chef’s Table': How Genius Culinary Minds Tick – Trailer
- HBO Scientology Documentary ‘Going Clear’ Clocks 1.65M Viewers In Premiere
- Bill O’Reilly’s ‘Legends & Lies’ Debuting April 12 On Fox News Channel