LeBron James’ special The Decision delivered big ratings for ESPN last night. The special, in which James announced his decision to join the Miami Heat, generated a 7.3 overnight rating from 9-10:15 p.m. ET, the highest rating for any program – on broadcast or cable – last night. It was also ESPN’s highest overnight rating for any non-NFL ESPN program this year. The telecast peaked with a 9.6 rating from 9:15-9:30 p.m., when James announced his choice. The top three local markets were heart-broken Cleveland (26.0 metered market rating) and Columbus (14.2) and jubilant Miami (12.8). How large of an audience did James draw? Consider this: ESPN’s exclusive interview with Tiger Woods on March 21 posted a 0.4 metered market rating. ESPN’s exclusive interview with Alex Rodriguez on Feb. 9, 2009 generated a 0.9 metered market. The Decision was also a hit online, generating more than 300,000 unique viewers on ESPN3.com.
RATINGS RAT RACE: LeBron James Is A Hit!
What's Hot on Deadline
Meghan McCain Discovers Donald Trump Lies, Blasting Her Cancer-Stricken Father At CPAC After Promising To Stop
Disney Channel Launching Toon Series 'Amphibia' & 'The Owl House', Renews 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil' For Season 4
Latest TV News
- ‘The Blacklist’ Star Megan Boone Says Her FBI Character Will “Never Carry An Assault Rifle Again”
- ‘The Bachelor’ Star Chris Soules Denied Appeal On Fatal Iowa Accident
- Pilot Season 2018: Breakthrough For Female Directors, Modest Gains In Director Diversity
- 'Three Rivers': John Larroquette To Star In ABC Family Comedy Pilot
- Nanette Fabray Dies: Stage And TV Comic Actress Was 97
- 'Charmed': Sarah Jeffery Cast As A Lead In The CW Reboot Pilot