LeBron James’ special The Decision delivered big ratings for ESPN last night. The special, in which James announced his decision to join the Miami Heat, generated a 7.3 overnight rating from 9-10:15 p.m. ET, the highest rating for any program – on broadcast or cable – last night. It was also ESPN’s highest overnight rating for any non-NFL ESPN program this year. The telecast peaked with a 9.6 rating from 9:15-9:30 p.m., when James announced his choice. The top three local markets were heart-broken Cleveland (26.0 metered market rating) and Columbus (14.2) and jubilant Miami (12.8). How large of an audience did James draw? Consider this: ESPN’s exclusive interview with Tiger Woods on March 21 posted a 0.4 metered market rating. ESPN’s exclusive interview with Alex Rodriguez on Feb. 9, 2009 generated a 0.9 metered market. The Decision was also a hit online, generating more than 300,000 unique viewers on ESPN3.com.
RATINGS RAT RACE: LeBron James Is A Hit!
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' Pacing Behind 'Ultron' But Still Super With $178M-$188M Opening - Box Office
Alicia Vikander Launches Vikarious Productions; Sets First Project 'Euphoria' With Eva Green- Cannes
FX Orders Ryan Murphy Anthology Series 'Feud', Jessica Lange & Susan Sarandon To Star In First Installment: Crawford v Davis
Latest TV News
- Kiefer Sutherland ABC Drama ‘Designated Survivor’ Gets Formal Series Pickup, First Trailer; Eyes Jon Feldman As…
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: ‘The Path’ Is Not “The Scientology Show” Says Creator And…
- ABC Nears ‘Castle’ Renewal Decision For Season 9, Nathan Fillion Set To Return
- ‘American Gods’: Starz Series To Recast Mad Sweeney Role, Changes DP
- FCC Approves Charter’s Deal To Buy Time Warner Cable
- ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ & ‘#RichKids Of Beverly Hills’ Ratings Up In Live+3