Starz’s acquired big-budget miniseries The Pillars of the Earth got off to a respectable start by Starz standards. The first two hours of the 8-hour mini drew 423,000 viewers on Friday. Not a lot to compare the ratings performance to as Starz is just now making inroads in the event longform programming. But Pillars finished competitively to the premiere of Starz’s breakout series hit Spartacus: Blood and Sand, which broke the pay cable network’s debut ratings record when it pulled 553,000 viewers earlier this year. It did much better than Starz’s other scripted offerings: for example, now defunct scripted drama Crash averaged 185,000 for its second season premiere and the recently canceled comedy Party Down averaged 74,000 viewers for its finale. The Pillars opener attracted 267,000 more viewers on Encore, with the total viewership expected to hover over 1 million in cume/DVR/VOD viewership.
OK Start For Starz's 'Pillars Of The Earth'
What's Hot on Deadline
Harvey Weinstein Talks 'Hateful Eight', Sony Hack, Gut Instincts & Socially Aware Oscar Campaigns At Tribeca
Latest TV News
- Lee Daniels & Taraji P Henson Light Up Paris With ‘Empire’ Dish – Series Mania
- MTV’s ‘Eye Candy’ Cancelled After One Season
- Ben Powers Dies: ‘Good Times’ Actor Was 64
- Pete Rose Hired As Fox Sports Guest Analyst, Commentator
- Jonathan Crombie Dies: Actor Known For Canada’s ‘Anne Of Green Gables’ TV Series
- ‘The Messengers’ Off To Low Ratings Start, ‘Last Man’ & ‘Cristela’ End Seasons