EXCLUSIVE: Rene Balcer, a 20-year veteran of the Law & Order franchise, has signed with UTA, the agency that also represents the franchise creator Dick Wolf. For the past 8-10 years, Balcer was at CAA. Balcer serves as executive producer/showrunner on the latest Law & Order spinoff, Law & Order: Los Angeles, which premieres on NBC this fall. Balcer has been with the Law & Order franchise since the beginning. He wrote an episode in the first season of the flagship Law & Order and joined the series in Season 2. He rose to executive producer before leaving in 2001 to executive produce and showrun spinoff L&O: Criminal Intent, which he developed with creator Wolf. Balcer was at L&O:CI for five seasons before returning to the mothership series in March 2007 as executive producer and head writer. He served as showrunner on the long-running drama for the past three seasons, until NBC canceled it in May.
UTA Signs 'L&O' Veteran Rene Balcer
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Stephnie Weir Bank Comedy
- Fox Developing Drama About Airline Crew Moonlighting As Robbers
- Betsy Thomas Set As New 'Bad Judge' Showrunner
- Sam Richardson Upped To Regular On 'Veep'
- Nathan Parsons To Topline Amazon Pilot 'Point Of Honor', Luke Benward To Co-Star
- Rob Golenberg and Alon Aranya's Scripted World Inks First-Look Deal With Fox 21