So, just as I reported, author Janet Evanovich’s agent/son Peter is shopping a new book deal after St. Martin’s Press turned down a $50 million, 4-book extension. (St. Martin’s Losing Biggest Fiction Author) I’m told the deal is being shopped to other publishers. The ask is still $50 million, or $12.5 million per book. But there is skepticism that another publisher will ante up, and Evanovich might get her best deal by not leaving St Martin’s “family” fold where she has spent the last 15 years. Beyond the fact Evanovich has history with all but two major publishers, the biggest hurdle comes down to accounting. I’m told that such a front-loaded deal puts all the risk on the new books, and the publisher doesn’t have the benefit of writing off losers against backlist books that remain at St. Martin’s Press.
Janet Evanovich Shopping New Book Deal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'
- Paradigm Signs Joe Johnston
- Sony Pictures Locks Tom Hanks, Ron Howard For April 'Inferno' Start