So, just as I reported, author Janet Evanovich’s agent/son Peter is shopping a new book deal after St. Martin’s Press turned down a $50 million, 4-book extension. (St. Martin’s Losing Biggest Fiction Author) I’m told the deal is being shopped to other publishers. The ask is still $50 million, or $12.5 million per book. But there is skepticism that another publisher will ante up, and Evanovich might get her best deal by not leaving St Martin’s “family” fold where she has spent the last 15 years. Beyond the fact Evanovich has history with all but two major publishers, the biggest hurdle comes down to accounting. I’m told that such a front-loaded deal puts all the risk on the new books, and the publisher doesn’t have the benefit of writing off losers against backlist books that remain at St. Martin’s Press.
Janet Evanovich Shopping New Book Deal
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; 'Girls Trip' Hot At $27M+; 'Valerian' Falling To Earth With $16M
Sean Spicer Resigns As Anthony Scaramucci Named White House Communications Director; Trump Lauds "His Great Television Ratings"
Latest TV News
- Comic-Con: David Harbour, Chris Meloni Talk Being Leading Men & Regretful Roles In ‘Brave New Warriors’ Panel
- ‘Twin Peaks’ Panel Kicks Off With Surprise David Lynch Video Visit – Comic-Con
- O.J. Simpson Parole Hearing Attracts 13 Million On Traditional TV
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Brings Winter To Comic-Con Hall H: Child-Burning Witch Melisandre Advising Daenerys Targaryen?
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- ‘Hannity’ Books Sean Spicer, Anthony Scaramucci & Reince Priebus To Spin White House Press Office Explosion