EXCLUSIVE: Gael Garcia Bernal, the Mexican-born star of Y Tu Mama Tambien and Amores Perros, is going far from home for his next job. He’ll star with Hani Furstenberg in The Loneliest Planet, an independently financed thriller that will be directed by Julia Loktev. Shooting begins July 26 in the Republic of Georgia. Loktev’s script was inspired by a Tom Bissell short story. A young couple backpacks through the Caucasus Mountains in the Republic of Georgia. When they hire a local guide to make through the isolated wilderness, their relationship is tested in ways they never anticipated. Loktev directed Day Night Day Night, Bernal will next be seen starring with Kate Hudson and Kathy Bates in Earthbound, and Furstenberg is a stage and film actress in Israel. The film’s a co-production between Parts and Labor, Flying Moon and Wild Invention, and international sales are being handled by The Match Factory.
Gael Garcia Bernal Orbits 'Loneliest Planet'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Patrick Warburton Back For 'Ted' Sequel
- Stork Visit For Milla Jovovich Postpones 'Resident Evil 6′
- Indie Audax Outbids For David Weil Spec 'Moonfall'
- Lionsgate Buys Opera-Themed Comedy 'The Three Tenors'
- RADiUS To Release SXSW Winner 'The Great Invisible'
- Toronto Finds Bill Murray And Gives Him A Day