Warner Bros and producer Jerry Weintraub have tried long and hard to mount a remake of the 1977 George Burns comedy Oh, God! I’m told Weintraub just pitched the studio a new version of the film, with Hollywood’s hottest octogenarian–Betty White,–as the title character. Paul Rudd was pitched for the role of the hapless mortal played by John Denver in the Carl Reiner-directed original. Weintraub, who produced the original, has been trying for years on the remake, most recently with Ellen Degeneres attached for the lead. This incarnation is nascent–the studio doesn’t have a script it loves, and I’m not sure White and Rudd have been contacted. But keeping in mind how vociferously Deadline readers endorsed White to replace Megan Fox in Transformers 3 and to play the new Spider-Man, this made enough sense to note.
Betty White For 'Oh God' Film Remake?
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Simon Cowell Makes U.S. TV Return As A Kinder, Gentler ‘America’s Got Talent’ Judge
- ‘Outcast’ Review: Robert Kirkman’s Cinemax Series Not For The Squeamish
- Verne Lundquist Leaving ‘SEC On CBS’ Booth After 2016; Brad Nessler Subbing In
- Universal TV President Bela Bajaria Out; Pearlena Igbokwe Eyed As Replacement
- Don Mischer Will Be Back As Producer Of Primetime Emmy Awards
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?