Warner Bros and producer Jerry Weintraub have tried long and hard to mount a remake of the 1977 George Burns comedy Oh, God! I’m told Weintraub just pitched the studio a new version of the film, with Hollywood’s hottest octogenarian–Betty White,–as the title character. Paul Rudd was pitched for the role of the hapless mortal played by John Denver in the Carl Reiner-directed original. Weintraub, who produced the original, has been trying for years on the remake, most recently with Ellen Degeneres attached for the lead. This incarnation is nascent–the studio doesn’t have a script it loves, and I’m not sure White and Rudd have been contacted. But keeping in mind how vociferously Deadline readers endorsed White to replace Megan Fox in Transformers 3 and to play the new Spider-Man, this made enough sense to note.
Betty White For 'Oh God' Film Remake?
What's Hot on Deadline
Warner Bros Wins Visionary Viral Short 'Sundays' Auction; You Gotta See What $51,000 Can Look Like Onscreen
Latest TV News
- Disney XD Orders Adventure Comedy Pilot ‘MTX!’
- ‘Happyish’ Gets Preview After ‘Shameless’ Finale On Showtime
- ‘Blunt Talk’ Teaser: First Look At Patrick Stewart As U.S. Cable News Newbie In Starz Comedy
- Katharine McPhee Signs With ICM Partners
- NBC Orders ‘First Dates’ Docu-Reality Series Produced By Ellen DeGeneres
- Jon Stewart Sends Jason Jones On His Way To TBS