Warner Bros and producer Jerry Weintraub have tried long and hard to mount a remake of the 1977 George Burns comedy Oh, God! I’m told Weintraub just pitched the studio a new version of the film, with Hollywood’s hottest octogenarian–Betty White,–as the title character. Paul Rudd was pitched for the role of the hapless mortal played by John Denver in the Carl Reiner-directed original. Weintraub, who produced the original, has been trying for years on the remake, most recently with Ellen Degeneres attached for the lead. This incarnation is nascent–the studio doesn’t have a script it loves, and I’m not sure White and Rudd have been contacted. But keeping in mind how vociferously Deadline readers endorsed White to replace Megan Fox in Transformers 3 and to play the new Spider-Man, this made enough sense to note.
Betty White For 'Oh God' Film Remake?
What's Hot on Deadline
Veteran ‘Criminal Minds’, Comedies 'Life In Pieces' & ‘Kevin Can Wait’ Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
Cannes Adds Lars Von Trier, Whitney Houston Doc, Michael B. Jordan Sci-Fi, Terry Gilliam's 'Don Quixote', More
'Homeland': Claire Danes Confirms Series Will End With Season 8, New Pregnancy Not Expected To Impact Production
Latest TV News
- Amazon Orders ‘Utopia’ Drama Series From Gillian Flynn Based On UK Format
- NBCUniversal, Fox, Turner And Viacom Unite Around TV Ad Standards
- James Corden’s Production Company Fulwell 73 Hires UK Head Of Development
- UK TV Host Dale Winton, Face Of ITV’s ‘Supermarket Sweep’, Dies Aged 62
- ‘Genius’ Renewed By Nat Geo, Season 3 Subject Revealed – Upfront
- ‘Taken’ Pulled Off Schedule By NBC, Will Return In Summer For Saturday Run