Warner Bros and producer Jerry Weintraub have tried long and hard to mount a remake of the 1977 George Burns comedy Oh, God! I’m told Weintraub just pitched the studio a new version of the film, with Hollywood’s hottest octogenarian–Betty White,–as the title character. Paul Rudd was pitched for the role of the hapless mortal played by John Denver in the Carl Reiner-directed original. Weintraub, who produced the original, has been trying for years on the remake, most recently with Ellen Degeneres attached for the lead. This incarnation is nascent–the studio doesn’t have a script it loves, and I’m not sure White and Rudd have been contacted. But keeping in mind how vociferously Deadline readers endorsed White to replace Megan Fox in Transformers 3 and to play the new Spider-Man, this made enough sense to note.
Betty White For 'Oh God' Film Remake?
What's Hot on Deadline
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest TV News
- ‘Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later’ Adds Anne-Marie Johnson; Matthew McNulty Joins ‘The Terror’
- Margaret Whitton Dies: ‘Major League’ Actress & Producer-Director Was 67
- ‘This Is Us’ Tops ‘Empire’ With New Live+3 Ratings High
- Viacom CEO: It’s Time To Focus On Growth Potential Following Year-Long “Drama”
- Van Williams Dies: TV’s ‘Green Hornet’ Was 82
- Bill Cosby Dealt Legal Blow As Judge Rules Depositions Can Be Used In 2004 Rape Trial